liability of a deceased car owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

slee

I am handling my brother's estate since he passed away in Sept. 2007. There was a vehicle that he helped purchase for his friend; at first the friend tried to assume the loan but due to financial problems the car was surrendered to the lender. A few days ago, I received papers from from a lawyer, suing the friend, and my deceased brother, for damages from a car accident (incurred by the friend since my brother has never used the car). What should be my course of action? Is my brother's estate liable for the friend's possible wrongdoing?

Thanks.

Has the estate been closed? Has the SOL for claims against the estate passed? Who carried the insurance on the vehicle?

Estate has not closed but I believe the SOL against the estate has passed. Isn't it 4 months or so since the proceedings begin (Nov. 07)? (We are in CA.) It was the friend who carried the insurance.

Thanks.

I am assuming that his name is on the title which is why they have included him. Was he a named insured on the policy? Talk to the attorney from the insurance company and see if he can get the estate dropped from the suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back