Letting landlord keep deposit

VenessaL82

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Hello,
I moved into this cute cottage apartment, paid a refundable deposit and non-refundable pet deposit. My lease ended in April 2016, but prior the lease ending I wanted to renew it. The landlord did not grant me the renewal because a new company was coming in and buying the property; the new management did not want to renew any leases. In my lease it does say that I would go month to month when and if the lease was up. After the take over, the new management sent a letter stating that they were doing ground upgrades, bbq, carport, etc. It never mentioned that they were gutting the apartments and renovating the insides. So within the last 3 months I have been living in a construction zone. There has been lack of communication on the manangements' part and the construction guys have no respect for the property and the people who are living here. I don't feel safe anymore. I have finally had enough and I am trying to move out. The problem is most places want you to move in within 2 weeks, which would not work if I gave a 30 day notice to my place. So my question is, can I just tell the new management that I am giving my 30 day notice, let them keep my $600 deposit and not pay rent? If they didn't want to renew my lease and are not allowing move-ins till all units and ground are complete (another 6-7 months), do you think they would try and go after me for anything? Btw, my rent is the same amount as the deposit. Thanks for your time.

Why not give 30 days notice, and move within two weeks.

Pay the months rent, and simply not use the remaining two weeks.

Follow their rules, you'll get your deposit back untouched.

I always believe in uncomplicating my life.

I am risk averse.

If you enjoy risk, proceed as you desire.

Just because you can eat everything and more, at an all you can eat buffet, doesn't mean you must behave as a hog and root until you've eaten a ton.

Less is always just enough.

Back