Lender Included Wrong Amount for Property Taxes in Refi

Status
Not open for further replies.

princesslys

We refinanced our home in June of 2010 with Quicken. (About a month later, they sold our loan to B of A.) When we started the refi, I informed Quicken that we had recieved a supplemental tax bill, and that the amount for our property taxes was then going to be increased (based on the new value of our home). I was told that they were aware of the bill and would pay these taxes with closing and all would be handled. A few weeks ago we recieved a statement from B of A that our monthly payment is going up $415 because we have no money in our escrow account. After digging through all of our loan paperwork, I have found that Quicken was accounting for the old amount of property taxes (from before we bought our home)-a difference of over $2000! Can they be held liable for this mistake? And if so, what exactly can they do to correct it? Possibly refinance us to an even lower rate so our payments are back down to what we thought they were going to be AND cover our escrow balance?
*And as a side note, we had the supplemental bill in May, if not April. And our property tax bill is dated "July 1, 2010-June 30, 2011." So I think there is no way Quicken could NOT have had the correct amount.

Speak with an official (not a customer service person) or write them a letter. Ask them what happened? Ask them how they plan to fix this, and make you whole again?

Wait until they respond before doing anything.

You could due them. But, it'll be a difficult battle. See if
you can get a better result using persistence, charm, courtesy, and negotiation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back