Lemon Law regarding used vehicle from private seller

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam1988

Hi.
I purchased a 1998 Civic EX on Friday, 1/13/2007. The purchase was for the amount of $5,000. Within 30 minutes of the transaction, I was on my way home untill the vehicle had shut off on me. The car began to make a wierd noise, and then immediatly shut off. It was taken to a local reputable shop, Firestone America. I was stuck with an estimate of $2,700!
Within 30 minutes of the purchase, the car broke down. We didn't sign a bill of sale or any documents, it was a quick title/vehicle/cash exchange.
I contaced the seller today to notify her about this event, she claims she did not expect this to happen and has never had any problems with the car. After about 10 minutes of talking, she said she was going to talk it over with her husband and call me back.

I gave her two choices, they may take the vehicle back and I recieve full refund or they will cover the costs of the repairs.

I was told buying a used car from a private seller still applies to the lemon law. In the state of TX, I was told if there is a major problem with the vehicle that exceeds a certain percentage of the vehicle price within 72 hours, the transaction may be canceled.

I want to keep this as peaceful as possible, and solve it in a good manner and hopefully not getting the higher authorities involved.

Senior Judge, and other lawyers and judges, would you please critique? Do I have the right to make this move? Should the seller cover the repairs or refund the money?

Thanks Again.

Incase it matters, the technicians discovered a hole in the engine. The rod was hanging out of the vehicle. The hole is about the size of a quarter. Therefore it would be cheapest to replace the engine.

Firestone America is a good priced shop. I'm sure if I take the vehicle to Honda, they would charge much more.

Used cars are not covered by the lemon law.

If you think you suffered damages, sue in small claims court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back