Lemon law for computers. An outrageous warranty case. What are my remedies?

lemoncomputer

Jurisdiction
California
Summary: Lemon laptop. 5 months (and counting) without a computer. Manufacturer gives runaround. What are my remedies in court under the California lemon law and other laws?

New laptop failed repair 3 times for significant motherboard defect.

After 30 days of back and forth repairs, It is now clear that every motherboard has this defect, so I ask for a different model laptop as a replacement.
This is where the games begin. I believe the manufacturer wants to protect their bottom line by sending whatever they have in their used parts bin.

First, they offered a laptop that was huge and heavy. It was a huge 17" laptop that was significantly larger and thicker and twice as heavy (9 pounds without power brick) as my 15" thin and light aluminum laptop. This was unacceptable, and not industry standard practice, where weight and size are taken into account. So I decline, and suggest the exact model I want, which is the closest to mine in terms of specs, to be fair.

2 weeks later, their second offer was not the model I asked for.
It was a 15" laptop, but missing several significant features I had in my laptop, such as the premium "IPS" lcd screen and Thunderbolt 3 port. These are more expensive features only found on premium laptops like mine. Their offer had a cheap "TN" screen with washed out colors, shifting colors, and bad viewing angles. I have to look at that screen everyday.
The warranty states that replacements will be New or refurbished, equivalent or superior.
Again, as I did before, I decline the offer, and suggest the model I want with the closest specs to mine.

Now they go silent, and ignore me for one month.
I email customer service for an answer, they escalate the case, but they continue to ignore me.

In the 4th month of this drawn out case, I finally write a demand letter demanding replacement of the exact model I suggested before, and give them a week deadline to respond.
Low level customer service again passes on the information to the warranty dept, and they continue to ignore me.

I filed suit in small claims court.
Finally they respond almost one month after getting served.
Settlement negotiations aren't going well
Considering the time I've wasted driving around troubleshooting their failed repairs, and 5 months of lost warranty benefits as a result of their inaction, and being ignored by them for months....
it appears they have violated every facet of the California Lemon law, among other laws.

Now I'd really like to take them for damages.

Their warranty terms disclaim any responsibility for incidental and consequential damages.
Does the lemon law supersede this limitation and disclaimer?
I've read that the CA lemon law does not allow limitation on damages, so I may be able to claim damages.

I also read about my duty to mitigate. Can I buy a new laptop most similar to mine, and include the cost of the new laptop as damages?
Does implied warranty of merchantability and fitness allow me to buy a new laptop and sue for reimbursement?

I've read that the CA lemon law allows for a civil penalty for double damages when the manufacturer willfully violates the law. I think ignoring me for several months counts as a willful violation.
But can a small claims judge award such a penalty?

I am confused about what I can and cannot claim. I clearly have monetary loss, but it's hard to sufficiently quantify, and I'd like to lump everything into whatever damages and penalties I can get.

And just for reference, here's a case where someone sued HP in California for over double what he paid for his laptop, and won. Refer to the last two pages of this pdf...
http://www.voidthevoid.com/lawsuitpdf/HPsmallclaimguide.pdf

I believe this is outrageous behavior, and would like to see a similar outcome to my lawsuit.

Last edited:
All you must o is convince the judge presiding over your small claims case that your reasoning is legally sound.

It doesn't matter what a few anonymous human beings on an Internet discussion board have to say.

Good luck.

Yes, but all I feel is that my position is morally and logically sound.

But morally sound does not necessarily mean it is legally sound. The law is very complex, and I want to make sure I'm referencing the right laws when I present my case.

Yes, but all I feel is that my position is morally and logically sound...

Then maybe it's time to get an attorney. Considering that you posted this in the automobile section of the forum I have some doubts when it comes to your ability to clearly present a case in front of a judge.

No one here is going to do legal research for you when you have the same resources available online that the rest of us do.

As far as army judge goes, I hear he charges upwards of $500 an hour so his services are probably off-limits to you. :eek:

Yes, but all I feel is that my position is morally and logically sound.

But morally sound does not necessarily mean it is legally sound. The law is very complex, and I want to make sure I'm referencing the right laws when I present my case.

Thank you for sharing, mate.
I don't know how that is helpful to you, but if it was, we're happy to allow you to share.

And just for reference, here's a case where someone sued HP in California for over double what he paid for his laptop, and won. Refer to the last two pages of this pdf...
http://www.voidthevoid.com/lawsuitpdf/HPsmallclaimguide.pdf

I believe this is outrageous behavior, and would like to see a similar outcome to my lawsuit.

Then study that document (26 pages) and follow the instructions for suing the computer manufacturer. It appears to give you a lot more help than you will ever get on a legal forum short of hiring your own lawyer.

Then maybe it's time to get an attorney. Considering that you posted this in the automobile section of the forum I have some doubts when it comes to your ability to clearly present a case in front of a judge.

I decided to put this in the auto section instead of the consumer protection section because lemon law cases are more common here.

As for everything else, I thought this was a place for discussion of the law.

In small claims court you are not expected to be fully versed in law. So long as you can clearly present the problem, indicate your attempts to resolve it by following the warranty agreement, and reasonably explain your damages and why the manufacturer is responsible, then you should be ok in that forum.
Do not ask for any damages that you can not provide evidence for. I suspect if you purchase a new computer that would not be covered since it is not in the agreement.

I decided to put this in the auto section instead of the consumer protection section because lemon law cases are more common here.

As for everything else, I thought this was a place for discussion of the law.

You apparently have difficulty comprehending and understanding clearly.

We're volunteers, lawyers, paralegals, and savvy people, not paid lawyers; and certainly NOT your lawyer.

Back