legislation changes passed sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickey1971

I was on a deferred adjudicated sentence from 1993. A pre-75th legislation. The only reason I took the plea bargain was the fact that and the end of said probation the charges would be dismissed and I would be discharged. in 1997 the 75th legislation changed the outcome. In 2004 I completed probation, recieved a letter stating such. Now in 2008, I recieved a letter stating that since 1997 that the judge no longer has the right to dismiss my charge.

If you know anything about deferred, you know you waive your right to appeal. But in light of the fact that they did not hold up to their end of the bargain, can I appeal? I never would have taken the plea bargain under such circumstances. Need help with this as soon as possible.

This was in Texas, I'm now residing in Indiana.

Yes you can appeal based on such a discrepancy in law changes. But you would be best served by a lawyer. Such fights are complicated and the law usually addresses people in your situation. You might want to first find the law and read it carefully............There should be a section for people in your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back