Legalities on a Weight loss home

henry k

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Ok so I have this idea for a weight loss home similair to a half way house or weight loss camp.... Essentially the idea similar to a half way house/addiction recovery home, but rather a recovery home for weight loss. The idea is not necessarily a treatment center but more so a structured living for people to reside at with support for losing weight. Programs offered would be something like daily trips to the gym, basic requirements to stay on the premise (minimum 5 days a week at a gym, adherence to a diet, and on site Overeaters anonymous 12 step groups, participation and group activities). Potentially offering on site massage therapy etc. Im trying to figure out if A. if its legal to do without it being technically a treatment center, or doctor on staff. B. What kind of liability. C. What exactly it would be called or registered as - AFC home? Half way house?, D. To what extent can the environment be structured without it being a treatment center (controlled food, requirement to go to a gym to stay etc.) - I figured that to some extent it would be similiar in limititations to a half way house vs. addiction rehab?

A. if its legal to do without it being technically a treatment center, or doctor on staff.

Yes. such a concept is legal, as long as you don't give medical advice.
It would be perfectly okay to teach how to cook meals in accordance with various dietary guidelines.

B. What kind of liability.

You need to discuss that with a couple of insurance agents or companies.

I would expect the insurance would be similar to a day care center, a halfway house, or a rehab facility, maybe even a health club.

C. What exactly it would be called or registered as - AFC home? Half way house?,

I would suggest you speak with a couple of lawyers in your county, but "weight loss living home", or something that expresses or emphasizes what you do, such as "Healthy Eating & Living", "Eating Right", "Health, Fitness, Eating Home", "A Fitness Centered Life", "Making ALL The Right Choices", etc

D. To what extent can the environment be structured without it being a treatment center (controlled food, requirement to go to a gym to stay etc.) - I figured that to some extent it would be similiar in limititations to a half way house vs. addiction rehab?

You need to structure along the lines of youth basketball camps, band camps, fitness centers, use positive messaging

Back