Fraud, Embezzlement, Bad Checks legal recourse against a theft/fraud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrf23

Hello.

I was recently the victim of a theft of my motorcycle through check fraud. The criminals contacted me after viewing my craigslist posting, we agreed upon a purchase price, they told me they went to the bank and called me while pretending to be at the bank to ask how to spell my name for a cashiers check. They showed up to my house, paid me with the cashiers check - which looked good, and i gave them the motorcycle and title. The next day I went to the bank to cash the check and was told it was fake.

The bike was insured for liability only, no theft coverage or collision. Which I dont know if theft coverage would cover the bike in this instance anyways.

My question is, when these criminals are caught, will i be able to take them to court to get my bike back - or in the event the bike is gone, destroyed, or parted out will I be able to take them to court to get payment for the bike?

Thank you.

Absolutely you can sue them, however, if the bike does not get recovered as part of the investigation and arrest, the judge will likely order them to pay restitution, so that will save you that step.

Dumb question, but I'm assuming you have reported the bike stolen to the police?

Yes sir, first thing I did after going to the bank and finding out the check was bad. I also gave the police their license plate number, which came back registered to someone else who had reported to another police station in another county that the truck had been stolen with the same fake check -so there are more than one police stations looking for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back