Legal concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yufeivicky

My family lives in forest, ms. They rent a house through a intermediary because the landlord went somewhere else. My family paid 1500 per month for 3 months now. And paid a 1000 dollar deposit. Before they move in, they ask the intermediary if they have a contract, the intermediary told them they do not have a contract and they can move in and move out whenever they want. They signed a paper stating no pet is allowed in the house, and that was the only thing on the paper. They asked the intermediary for the paper, but they never got one. Everything is broken in the house, and the are bugs everywhere. My family hired pesticide company but that does not solve the problem. And the landlord does not repair things in the house. This month, my family wants to move out, the intermediary said they have a contract! The concern they now have is the intermediate originally said they do not have a contract, he now change his word and said we have a contract. my family think he want our deposit. And since my family does not have a copy of the paper they originally signed, we are concern about the intermediary or landlord add things onto the contract through a printer, etc. what should we do now? Should we go to the court? Or can we move out and just let them take our deposit? Etc. thank you.

Was the house not looked at before moving in to see that everything was broken & there were bugs?

he showed my family leakage area in the house. But he said he will repair things in the house and he never did. And my family told him to mowed the lawn and he said we have to pay for the service. And my mom told him about that there was problems in the bathroom before they moved in, but the intermediary just told my family that works fine. Our current concern is that we want to move out now, and he changed his word from that there is no contract to there is one. And if it's necessary, we will move out and let him take the deposit. thank you replying.

Your family have become tenants, even without a contract, and the landlord is likely going to defer to your state's laws on eviction.

If you do not have a written contract (i.e., a written lease) and you pay your rent on a monthly basis, you have a month to month tenancy (sometimes known as a "tenancy at will" in some states). You can terminate this type of tenancy with a 30 day WRITTEN notice saying you wish to do so. This notice must be in writing and until this time period expires you would still owe rent during this 30 day time period.

Make certain you let this intermediary know what your new address will be so they can send your deposit to you within the required time period for the state of Mississippi.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back