Legal Advise Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggy

This is an odd question, but I think it fits in here best.

Me as well as 4 other people own a non-profit forum website. The website is basically the forum and nothing else, with a small community of about 300 people who get along decently well. It's non-profit and although from time to time we have open registration, it is private.

Yesterday, one member, who we will call member X, replied to a thread which contained pictures of another members cats. X said something about wanting to be cruel to animals, to which the cat's owner (coincidentally an admin) reacted rather badly to.

Context is set, here's the problem:

The cat-owning admin changed X's title (a little phrase under each members name) to something that mentionned his appreciation for cruelty to animals.. this kind of title-changing happens all the time, usually for fun but sometimes as a mild form of punishment.

Thank you!

X reacted badly to this change, and publically voiced that he was going to sue the cat-owning admin in the small claims court in California.

Does he have any grounds for this kind of legal action? The forum IS private and contains an Acceptable Use Policy which X broke two sections of.

Originally posted by jaggy:
This is an odd question, but I think it fits in here best.

Me as well as 4 other people own a non-profit forum website. The website is basically the forum and nothing else, with a small community of about 300 people who get along decently well. It's non-profit and although from time to time we have open registration, it is private.

Yesterday, one member, who we will call member X, replied to a thread which contained pictures of another members cats. X said something about wanting to be cruel to animals, to which the cat's owner (coincidentally an admin) reacted rather badly to.

Context is set, here's the problem:

The cat-owning admin changed X's title (a little phrase under each members name) to something that mentionned his appreciation for cruelty to animals.. this kind of title-changing happens all the time, usually for fun but sometimes as a mild form of punishment.

Thank you!

X reacted badly to this change, and publically voiced that he was going to sue the cat-owning admin in the small claims court in California.

Does he have any grounds for this kind of legal action? The forum IS private and contains an Acceptable Use Policy which X broke two sections of.
I have no idea what kind of suit X would bring to extract monetary damages -- intent to cause emotional distress? I doubt it will go anywhere but if you have a clear terms of service that states this can be done, I'm not sure that there is much monetary liability that you might have. Still, perhaps not the best practice. I'd have to see your TOS to make any real statements of value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back