Legal Advice on Divorce or Annulment

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelaD

I was wondering if I could get any legal advice on my matter. I am 24 and reside in the state of Michigan; I have been legally married since Aug.18, 2006. However, my husband and I officially wed in a church on Oct.28, 2006. We have been living together less than a month, and it was the worst experience of my life. After the wedding, he turned into an obsessive, possessive, and over-controlling person. Additionally, his parents (that were living with us at that time) tried to take complete control of our married life. My husband and his father verbally abused me many times during this short time-frame. Furthermore, they decided to prohibit me from pursuing my professional career and education. My husband and I had agreed on many things during our engagement: we would both keep our jobs, and I would continue my education. After the honeymoon, he had the nerve to tell me that he was my God, and he would make every single decision regarding my future. I experienced tremendous emotional distress during this time.
I was wondering if I should file for an annulment or divorce. Also, should I hire a divorce lawyer?
Thanks in advance,
Angela

Sorry that you have had to go through this. Probably a good idea to end the marriage. His parents have no business on treating you like that, or even living with you but I understand some cultures find that totally acceptable.

An annullment you have to prove some sort of fraud. It is probably going to be a bigger pain to get it annuled than to get a divorce but you should see a divorce attorney to see if you have grounds for an annulment.

I hope you got yourself out of that unpleasant situation, good luck to you.

Thanks Duranie for your answer!
He refuses to go to counseling so I think I`ll be seeing a divorce lawyer soon. I will pursue an annulment (or nullity of matrimony) with the church so that I can remarry in a church in the future. Would anyone happen to know if the court releases divorce transcripts to the church? And do these transcripts play a role in the church`s decision?
Thanks in advance!

If I were you, skip counselling and get a divorce ASAP. A marriage on only a few months old that has this many problems is probably doomed.

I am not sure what religion you are, but a religious annulment has nothing to do with a legal divorce or annulmemt. The church has its own requirements for an annulment and they probably will request your divorce papers from you, the court should not sending them to the church directly. That is up to you to do.

There should be somebody that does annulments at your chuch but at this point until you are legally divorced, there is probably nothing they can do for you right now.

State of residency: Michigan
My ex filed for divorce and I signed the papers that a third party gave me. I did not file for an answer, because I agreed with the terms of his complaint for divorce. This happened three months ago, we have no assets together or children or anything else to divide. I called the court yesterday to check on the status of the divorce, and they told me that it is up to the plaintiff if he wants to proceed with the divorce. Is that truly the case?
He is sabotaging the whole thing and I just want to get this divorce finalized. Would I have to file for a divorce in order to get things rolling?

Thank you in advance,
--Angela

Last edited:
File a motion for trial as soon as possible.

Thank you seniorjudge!!!
I took your advice, and filled out a Request for Hearing on a Motion, however I am not sure what to write in the Relief(s) Sought field. Are they asking if I am requesting any financial relief, or are they referring to the purpose of my filing the motion?

Thanks again,
Angela

The relief sought is a date certain for the trial of the lawsuit.

Update on my case:
I went to court today, to file the motion for a trial in a divorce case. The document that I submitted is named: Request for hearing on a motion: Notice of a hearing, Proof of Service.
The court clerk said that she couldn`t accept my application, because I was missing something else. She was not at liberty of discussing what else I was missing, so I was wondering if anyone could please tell me what other document/form do I need to file a motion for a trial in a divorce case. Again, I reside in Michigan.

Thank you in advance,
Angela

Ask a lawyer wandering through the halls; you may find one to answer that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back