Legal Advice for my father suing me

cbrennan

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I am in an unfortunate situation where I am being sued by my father for being accused of mishandling his money and money missing from his account. First of, I would like to say that anything that I am being sued by is completely wrong and I am innocent, this case is more or less a major joke, but the money that it is costing me is not. This whole case is being fueled by 2 of my brothers (one brother being a convicted felon) who are money hungry and was the one who started this case. I personally was on every account and had full power of attorney., It has gotten to the point that they told me that i owe 1.5 million, then that was decreased to 500 thousand, to now 200 thousand. This just shows that they have no basis and no idea as to what they even want back, we have requested a written statement of a breakdown of exactly where they got this money. We have gotten to the deposition, where we video chatted with him since he was out of the country. My father is almost 90, and his memory is slowly fading, during the deposition, he was questioned and asked about me taking the money, but he only knows what his attorney told him. The whole deposition on his end was fueled with lies and his response word for word said that he had no clue how much I took and only knew what the attorney told me. He even got to the point where he started saying that he never attended certain events, where we had a picture of him at the event. This whole thing is costing me out of the wall and I personally cannot afford to live like this and pay these attorney fees to my attorney when I am completely innocent. I believe the next step would be to go before a judge, but even that is too costly. What are my options as to this, as I cannot bear and am sick to my stomach as I am paying these crazy amounts for something I did not do. We are in Georgia, and he is in Israel. Does this have to go before a jury?

Your basic options:

1. Fire your lawyer and defend yourself as far as the case goes.
2. Pay your lawyer's fees.
3. Try and find a less expensive lawyer.
4. Try to settle the case.

Does this have to go before a jury?

If you settle, it won't go before a jury.

Your basic options:

1. Fire your lawyer and defend yourself as far as the case goes.
2. Pay your lawyer's fees.
3. Try and find a less expensive lawyer.
4. Try to settle the case.

If you settle, it won't go before a jury.

So an attorney would not be required at all for me to proceed if I were to take this case into my own hands? If this were the case, could I use my son to help defend me in this if it were to go to court?

Back