Lease termination

Status
Not open for further replies.

arb83

Hoping someone will have a suggestion... this is in NY.

The situation is that I was supposed to be relocating at the end of this month (May) for work, but my lease was not due to end until June 30th. I told my landlord as soon as I found out, in case he wanted to find a tenant for June 1st. His response was that they would start showing my apartment, which they have been doing, and telling the potential tenants that it was available for June 1st or July 1st. If no one was found for June 1st, I would still be responsible for that month's rent.

However, I found out last week that I actually need to stay in the area for a little longer, so, because no tenant had been found, I asked if we could stick with the original lease end date. I contacted him about that last week via e-mail, but he has not responded. Since then, he has e-mailed me twice about showing my apartment, so it is clear that he is accessing his e-mail but not responding (and no response to phone calls). I replied to the showing notices asking when he would be able to give me a decision, but again, no reply. I am concerned that he is simply ignoring my messages, and that I will end up having to move out by the end of this month "just in case" while still paying next month's rent. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back