Lease/Contract Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoffP

I moved into an apartment last year and I was told by the prior resident manager that it would be fine to break my lease. I signed the lease with the intent of leaving the property in the next year.

A new property management company took over the management of the property and will not let me break the lease. There is a section of the agreement that states if "agent/owner may recover from Resident the worth at the time of award of the amount by which the unpaid rent for the balance of the term after the time of award exceeds the amount of such rental loss that the resident proves could be reasonably avoided." I am also not allowed to sublet without permission according to the lease.

I have a few questions:

1) Does the wording imply that I could find a tenant to take my place and use that as the time at which the owner could have avoided rental losses?

2) Is there anything regarding the verbal agreement I had with the previous resident manager?

3) The lease also has the wrong year on the lease term it states Oct 2007 - Aug 31 2007. Is the date implied as being correct or do I have a case to successfully terminate my lease?

If it matters I reside in California.

I appreciate any pieces of information and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back