Lease - co signing questoni

B

btsteeno

Jurisdiction
California
I recently leased a car. My father co-signed the lease.

Recently, because of some family issues, I had to move out of our family house. The problem is, my father will not give me my car. He states that because he co signed the lease that the car is his to keep.

Is he correct? If he is not correct, do I have any legal options to secure getting my car back?

I recently leased a car. My father co-signed the lease.

Recently, because of some family issues, I had to move out of our family house. The problem is, my father will not give me my car. He states that because he co signed the lease that the car is his to keep.

Is he correct? If he is not correct, do I have any legal options to secure getting my car back?

This one is tricky.
The car is 50% yours, and 50% his.
I see no immediate legal solution here.

You can discuss the matter with a lawyer, just to ease your mind so you can accept that which you don't want to accept.

Most lawyers will meet with you at no charge for the initial consultation.

It depends if he is a co-signer/guarantor or if he's a co-buyer. If he is a co-buyer then you equally own the car. Well technically on a lease the bank owns the car and you both have the right to drive it for x number of years. If you can't work things out with Dad, then you may have to walk away from it.

He states that because he co signed the lease that the car is his to keep.

txls brings up an important question.

At the top of the lease is the car leased jointly to btsteeno and papasteeno or is it leased only to btsteeno with papasteeno's signature appearing at the bottom as guarantor?

If the former then you both equally own it and both have equal right to possess it.

If the latter, it's your car. Go get it. Bring a cop with you.

Back