Breaking a Lease lease and landlord don't match

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimmers74

My landlord recently notified me that I have to sign a year lease or give a 30 day notice. This notification was supposedly mail in January but I did not receive notification until the middle of March. He wanted the lease signed as of March first and is now charging me a $50 monthly increase in rent, a $50 dollar late fee for the increase and $5 dollars every additional day since March 5th. Is this legal since I did not get the notice until after his deadline? He says he will waive some of the fees if I sign the lease. Also the lease he has resent states that the rent is $600 dollars, not the $675 that the letter with it says. If I sign the lease, is the $600 price binding? The majority of the lease has little to do with the property I live at as most of their properties are in Chicago area and I am in small town Wisconsin.

The bottom line is this - if you don't sign a one year lease you will then have no rights to live at your current location the following month (which may be a few extra days due to notice.) You would be a month to month tenant absent any other right you may have. At that point you can be evicted since the landlord doesn't have to offer you a new lease. You have no renewal rights.

That said, the landlord cannot charge you a $50 increase in rent and $50 late fee for the current month which is due and then you're gone. But who cares? What do you want to do? What you're saying is that the landlord said that if you're willing to sign a 1 year lease, none of this is in issue. If you're not happy with the rent increase, then let the landlord know with notice that you will move the following month. This is the price.

With regard to the lease, the amount should be on the lease. Do not sign it if it does not have $600 as the monthly rent. That is what matters, not the letter. If you sign the lease at a $600 monthly amount, that is a binding 1 year lease that protects both the landlord and the tenant - which is you. You might want to have the lease dated for the following month and make 100% sure that no fees will be incurred.

Quite frankly, I get the impression that the landlord just wants you to make up your mind and that if you signed a 1 year lease and began paying $600 per month, all these problems would probably go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back