Lease agreement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessmister2006

I have rented an apartment in Buffalo, Missouri and the landlord is giving me trouble on my rent. (1 day late). I got to reading my lease and the term and rent sections read as follows:

1. TERM. Landlord leases to Tenant and Tenant leases from landlord the above described premises together with any and all appurtenances thereto, for the term of one year, such term beginning on June 16, 2008 and ending at 12 o'clock midnight on June 16, 2009.

2. RENT. The TOTAL rent for the term hereof is the sum of $495, payable on the (blank) day of each month of the term in equal installments of (blank).

Is it me or is this lease, signed by both the landlord and me, stating that I have rented an apartment for one year for $495?

Please respond and thank you for your advise

It is just you. You are not reading what it is stated after the amount. The clause reads that the total amount of your monthly rent is going to be $495 due at X day as clearly stated in the following "...payable on the (blank) day of each month of the term in equal installments of (blank)." Good luck to you!

I would agree, however there is a place for everything here, is there a way i can load a scan so that you can see what I am talking about on this lease?

Yes, just attach the document to your posting. Black out your personal information though...

Lease

Missouri Residential Lease Agreement
THIS LEASE AGREEMENT (hereinafter referred to as the "Agreement") made and entered into this ____________ day of ____________________________, 20____, by and between _____________________________________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as "Landlord") and _____________________________________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as "Tenant").

W I T N E S S E T H :

WHEREAS, Landlord is the fee owner of certain real property being, lying and situated in _______________ County, Missouri, such real property having a street address of ______________________________________________________________ (hereinafter referred to as the "Premises").

*** ******* WHEREAS, Landlord desires to lease the Premises to Tenant upon the terms and conditions as contained herein; and

*** ******* WHEREAS, Tenant desires to lease the Premises from Landlord on the terms and conditions as contained herein;

*** ******* NOW, THEREFORE, for and in consideration of the covenants and obligations contained herein and other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, the parties hereto hereby agree as follows:

1. TERM. Landlord leases to Tenant and Tenant leases from Landlord the above described Premises together with any and all appurtenances thereto, for a term of one year, such term beginning on June 16, 2008, and ending at 12 o'clock midnight on June 16, 2009.
2. RENT. The total rent for the term hereof is the sum of ______________________________________________________________ DOLLARS ($495) payable on the ______ day of each month of the term, in equal installments of ______________________________________________________________ DOLLARS ($_____________), first installment to be paid upon the due execution of this Agreement, the second installment to be paid on _______________________. All such payments shall be made to Landlord at Landlord's address as set forth in the preamble to this Agreement on or before the due date and without demand.
3. DAMAGE DEPOSIT. Upon the due execution of this Agreement, Tenant shall deposit with Landlord the sum of ______________________________________________________________ DOLLARS ($________) receipt of which is hereby acknowledged by Landlord, as security for any damage caused to the Premises during the term hereof. Such deposit shall be returned to Tenant, without interest, and less any set off for damages to the Premises upon the termination of this Agreement.

OTHER THAN THE NAMES MISSING THIS IS EXACTLY AS MY LEASE READS

What is missing here is the spelling out of the $495 on the field where it reads "...in equal installments of __________________________________________________ ____________ DOLLARS ($_____________), first installment to be paid upon the due execution of this Agreement, the second installment to be paid on _______________________. All such payments shall be made to Landlord at Landlord's address as set forth in the preamble to this Agreement on or before the due date and without demand. " but that is not a reason to void the agreement.

the missing is the spelling out of the TERM agreement amount, both the installment wording, as well as the numerical amount is missing. Correct?

What is missing here is the spelling out of the $495 on the field where it reads "...in equal installments of __________________________________________________ ____________ DOLLARS ($_____________), first installment to be paid upon the due execution of this Agreement, the second installment to be paid on _______________________. All such payments shall be made to Landlord at Landlord's address as set forth in the preamble to this Agreement on or before the due date and without demand. " but that is not a reason to void the agreement.

If 495 was the installment amount should it not be listed in the installment amount instead of listed in the TOTAL RENT for term amount

Not really. One can clearly see (from a legal point of view) that the installments are equal to the amount of $495.

Your rent is $495 a month. Quit trying to argue that you owe only $495 for the entire year or you'll soon find yourself sitting in small claims court.

NO judge would buy the argument that you only own $495 for the entire year. You would, however, give him/her a good chuckle at the attempt.

Gail

lol not that i wouldn't do what was right, i was just looking to have a really nice F*** You! for the A$$hole landlord. Thanks for the advise

Continue to have the attitude with your landlord and they will likely attempt to find a way to evict you.

Rent is typically due on the first of the month and in many states a landlord can begin the eviction process even if the rent is one day late. Be glad that this landlord is only pushing for the rent as opposed to actually filing against you.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back