Lawyers misrepresenting settlement in iinjury case

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbell

Our daughter and her boyfriend were injured in a traffic accident in August 2012, and his family referred them to a local law firm.

After two+ years, they have finally reached a settlement, tentatively saying they will each receive $1000-$1200 after medical expenses and legal fees.
The lawyer (or aid) informed my daughter that her 3 sessions with the insurance company's chiropractor totaled ~$600 and 9 further sessions with our family's chiropractor totaled $2213.

My wife mentioned to our chiro's receptionist that the issue was coming to a close, so they would finally get paid, and the receptionist said that they had heard from the lawyers, but weren't very happy with the outcome. Turns out, they offered him only $800, and when he countered, asking for $1800, was told that if he wanted more than $800 it would go back into litigation, and wouldn't settle for probably 2 more years. The first chiro was most likely similarly treated.

Clearly, the lawyers are lying to my daughter (we trust the chiropractor, knowing them for many years), and pocketing the difference in the fees.
I'm sure the actual fee paid to the chiros would be considered privileged information, so doubt my daughter can directly approach the law office and make any accusation, but what CAN she do?

A complaint to the CA Bar Association would most likely be a waste of time. We will certainly request a complete accounting of all billable hours, fees paid, and legal documents filed. Would it be worth while including a letter stating she is not satisfied with the settlement and suspects misrepresentation and undue extension of the case in order to run up their fees? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

They don't have to accept the settlement.
They can fire the attorneys, hire another firm, and start over; if the SOL hasn't tolled.
They should have seen physicians, not chiropractors.
These days insurance companies are very tight fisted.
Of course, they're free to litigate and avoid any talks of settlement or compromise.
That often gets a person less money, not more.

............................................................................................................................................

Last edited:
The lawyer took a crap case and is trying to get them something out of it. He gets his off the top. The only bargaining power they have is to refuse to settle and pay the chiropractor themselves. Then the lawyer gets nothing either. His comes off the top. They can of course negotiate his fee down and the chiropractors up, if everyone comes to a consensus.

Say the pie is offer was $8k total. The lawyer takes about $2600, the chiro A gets offered $400 chiro B offered $1000. You each offered $1200 leaves $1600 for all BF's med bill creditors. If chiro A agrees, see if Chiro B will take $1300 and lawyer take $2100. See how it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back