lawsuit for car wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlc511

5 years ago my brother (then 16) was going 15 mph and hit a guy on a motorcycle. The gentleman was not wearing a helmet and it is not required in Colorado to do so. He suffered a slight concussion. At the time my brother was insured under my parents and the insurance company covered the entire cost of the accident. My brother is no longer insured as he no longer drives (no bad record, this was his decision). My parents were just informed that this gentleman is now suing them. The insurance company tried to settle with $50000.00 and he didn't take it. Now he's coming after my parents. What are my parent's rights? My parents are not well off and even hiring an attorney is going to make things difficult for them. How is it possible for someone to wait 5 years and decide they want to sue? What is the right course of action?

Originally posted by tlc511:
5 years ago my brother (then 16) was going 15 mph and hit a guy on a motorcycle. The gentleman was not wearing a helmet and it is not required in Colorado to do so. He suffered a slight concussion. At the time my brother was insured under my parents and the insurance company covered the entire cost of the accident. My brother is no longer insured as he no longer drives (no bad record, this was his decision). My parents were just informed that this gentleman is now suing them. The insurance company tried to settle with $50000.00 and he didn't take it. Now he's coming after my parents. What are my parent's rights? My parents are not well off and even hiring an attorney is going to make things difficult for them. How is it possible for someone to wait 5 years and decide they want to sue? What is the right course of action?
Well, you cannot get blood from a stone but in this case it sounds like the insurance should take care of it. He just isn't happy with the settlement. Why would your parents need to hire an attorney? Sounds like a lot of money if this guy wasn't injured very badly... what are the details we are missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back