Law suit over jet ski

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0ggwrath

Long story short I had a jet ski that needed the engine rebuilt. A friend of mines dad works on them and offered to do it for a good price.The deal was I payed him 650 upfront for parts,getting crank rebuilt etc. than 500 for labor after it was done and I sold it . dropped it off told me about 2 weeks. Well is been like a year and a half. Throughout this time I was given many excuses, parts took forever, he was going in and out of town,sick and all sorts of excuses. I can barely ever get him on the phone and he lives 45 min from me. Ive gone over there many times to see whats going on and he would tell me he has someone whos just going to buy it call me on monday or he was just gonna buy it of me,more excuses.Ive had a lot going on in my life recently and this really was far from a top priority. Last I went there the ski just looks trashed, its in pieces sittin in a backyard. I just want to file a law suit and get the full value of the ski. He doesnt have a shop or anything he just works on stuff at his house. There were no kinds of contracts or anything. This is a father of a good friends so I didnt expect any of this. Do I have a case? Skis is worth around 3K and im in Florida. Any advice is appreciated

If you sue you might be able to get the value of the ski at the time you took it to him- in it's unrepaired state. Don't expect to get the value of a jet ski in good working condition.
You have some responsibility here as well... the court will wonder why you left it there so long and did not pick it up. The "I was too busy" excuse won't work well for either of you.
Also- if you are going to ask for money, the jet ski may have to be in a condition that is beyond repair, otherwise you will be getting your jet ski back along with a lessor amount to account for additional damages. Being in pieces is not the same as being damaged.

Well its not like I just left it. I went to go get it a numerous times, and he would talk me into believing he was just going to buy the ski from me, or he had someone interested, or promising me he would have it fixed by the end of the week. And I just wanted it over and done with in any way so I put faith in him. He moved like 3 times during this time and was moving my ski around and for like the last 8 months its been in his backyard blocked im by broke down trucks and other junk. I was hoping that id be able to just get the value of the ski and he can just keep it. And it is trashed, engine hasnt been rebuilt and rusted, skis full of water etc.

And if I won and got the unrepaired value of the ski when I first gave it to him in would I get my ski back also?

If you can't work it out with him then your answer is in civil court, or small claims, depending on how much you want. Getting a judgment for money is not the same as getting money. You may have to put a lien on some of the guy's property (other vehicles) in order to ever get anything. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back