Law of 'halves' for medicaid eligibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustang54

My mother has been in a nursing home for 1 year now. My sister has POA. Last year Mom had about $200K so we were private pay. I just found out (today) from the nursing home business manager that my sister signed a promissory note last summer and filed for Medicaid. The woman told me that my sister was legally allowed to keep 1/2 of the money and the other half went to the nursing home based upon the 'law of half'. She said that 1/2 was transferred to your sister and it is her money to spend it now if she chooses and Medicaid does not look at it when they consider Mom's eligibility. She said NOW Mom should be out of money and Medicaid will kick in soon. There was a will when Mom had her house in 2008, which was sold in 2008. The will stated proceeds of house to be divided equally to her 3 children. She was in assisted living until June 2011 and I know that there was $200K left because my sister slipped last summer and said that she had $200K left. I know she put $120K in a Met Life annuity when she sold the house and said that money was hers and she deserved it. So total assets are $320K. How does this promissory note change things and am I entitled to any of the 1/2 of the money my sister kept and never told us? Can you please explain what this law of halves is and what is the promissory note ??? As you probably can guess my sister refuses to give out any information to anyone. Anything you can provide would better help me understand what is going on here. I am considering hiring a lawyer, but not sure if I have any grounds and really don't understand what is going on here. I always thought that with the 5 year look back ALL money was going to be spent on Mom's nursing home bill, which I totally understand as it is her money. But now this new information changes things and shows me that my sister found a legal way to keep 1/2 of mom's money without telling us.

We don't know enough (nor should you reveal anymore, as you never know WHO reads this site).
I suggest you seek a consultation with an attorney or two.
To my knowledge, I know nothing of a "law of halves".
The initial meeting is often offered at no charge.
From what you've posted, I smell decaying, rotting fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back