Law of Emancipation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

liveitupp2p2

My ex pays the state child support of 316.00 for the last 10 years, and then it comes to me. Since 2005 I gave that directly to my child up at college..When the child graduated from high school they sent a form once again asking if we ( actually me) desired an increase. I denied them in the past due to the bad blood between my ex and myself... We went through the modification for 2 YEARS. He got an attorney and had to pay 75.00 increase and insurance.Insurance he still is not paying..He never has paid medical or anything thing in 10 years but the 316. Didn't even help with th entrance fees to get in to college..NOTHING,,, During that modification they really raked me over the coals. I had no attorney so I'll leave it up to you how I was treated. Long story short my child was in college in 2005 till now and still current. All of a sudden 6 months after the modification became ( april of 2007)valid he files a civil case stating that the child was emancipated in 2005 due to one failing grade. Mo laws now says that a full time student can fail half their classes and still be intitles to support.Child had 12 credit hrs and passed 9 did not work. Next year the child took 15. passed all..Now he never brought this up all during the modification. He is now suing for all support that he paid from 2005 till now with interest requesting 500 a month be paid for every month since 2005..The laws changed I know in 2007 saying the child could fail half the grades and still get support. 2005 I am not sure of. Does the law apply to Now or can they infact go back to 2005 even though the child has never had a break from school and does well. I have no money and have had NO help with getting my daughter in college or medical nothing. Can he do this..

Last edited:
It really depends on state law and what your papers say as far as the age of majority. Some decrees have it in there that CS is paid through full time college. Also he is only required to pay through 21 or college if the papers say. I do not know if he will have any success getting support back but he might be able to get it stopped.

The child will be 21 in a few months.. He did this to just cause me more grief..If this wasn't brought up in the 2 years that he had an attorney during the modification wouldn't you think it was a dead issue.. I'm in MO And don't know what the statue was in 2005 can they go back then or does the new law apply. New statue is she could fail half the classes..LOL.... Which she hasn't... No provisions were made with education, health nothing in the divorce... I was really taken advantage of during the divorce and after 17 years walked away with nothing but my kids..My child is a good citizen with nothing but praise from everyone. He hasn't seen his child in 8 years. By his own choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back