laundry basket hits car

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueclearsky

Our washing machine went out so I took my clothes to the laundrymat to wash last Sunday. I was finished and had my clothes hanging and folded in one of the rolling baskets that are in the laundrymats. This laundry was in a strip center. I rolled the basket out to my car by the curb and as I was putting some of my clothes in my car, this huge gust of wind came up and blew the basket onto the car parked next to mine. The woman who owned the car was there getting stuff out of her car. she ran over there to see if there was any damage. at first I didn't see it, but then she showed me a deep, but thin, scratch about 3 inches long on the right side of her hood ('07 Camry). I immediately got my ins. info for her. she was rude and demanded my dl number as well as my home phone. I told her she needed to settle it with my ins. company and not call me at home. She kept after me and I finally gave it to her. I didn't want to give her my dl # either but she was so pushy, I caved. So then I went to write down her plate number and noticed a big dent in her license plate in the front. While I was putting the rest of my clothing (that was now lying on the ground) in my car I noticed she had called her husband. He came up, looked at the scratch and then at me and then got in his car and left. then she finally left and so did I. When I got home I called our state farm agent and left a message detailing what had happened. I told her about the dented front license plate on the woman's car because I didn't want to be blamed for something that was already there. Anyway the claims guy called me today and said our policy won't pay for this because it didn't involve my car. duh! I felt like an idiot, told him I totally understood. He said the woman's comprehensive ins. should pay for it and that he was going to call her after he talked to me and tell her. When I got home from work, there was a msg from her on our answering machine wanting me to call her. So....was the wind gust an act of God? Am I liable to pay for her scratch?...who knows what she'll try to get out of it. I am so untrusting of strangers. What should I do?
We are low middle class and struggling financially with a child about to enter college and an ac/heating unit that needs to be replaced as well as some other pending expenses. We cannot afford to pay for this.
What should I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back