Last month rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyN

Eighteen months ago, I entered a one-year contract with a tenant and the monthly rent was $900. After a year, we renewed the lease to a month-to-month with a new rent of $1,000. The tenant paid last month's rent and a $500 security deposit.

Due to neighbor complaints and police that was called on the tenant several times, I gave the tenant a 60-day no-cause notice to move. The notice indicates his last day will be Jan 15, 2012. He has not paid rent for December saying it's been paid. How do I collect rent for 15 days, which I am sure he won't pay before he leaves (the security deposit is not enough to cover damages and unpaid rent).

Thank you

Eighteen months ago, I entered a one-year contract with a tenant and the monthly rent was $900. After a year, we renewed the lease to a month-to-month with a new rent of $1,000. The tenant paid last month's rent and a $500 security deposit.

Due to neighbor complaints and police that was called on the tenant several times, I gave the tenant a 60-day no-cause notice to move. The notice indicates his last day will be Jan 15, 2012. He has not paid rent for December saying it's been paid. How do I collect rent for 15 days, which I am sure he won't pay before he leaves (the security deposit is not enough to cover damages and unpaid rent).

Thank you

You can't and won't collect any rent that might be owed to you.

If you wish to try and collect any rent, that he might owe to you, you'll have to bring an action for non-payment of rent.

But, that is often frustrating and useless.

You pay fees to serve him and file your case.

That is more money out of your pocket.

You wait and then appear in court, more time and money out of your pocket.

The hearing is held and you would more than likely prevail.

But, you don't get money, you get a piece of paper saying he owes you money.

Then you have to spend more money, take some affirmative steps to perfect your judgment, and then spend time looking for his assets.

The guy is a deadbeat.

He hasn't paid, and probably won't pay.

But, if you're bound and determined to pour more of your money down this rat hole, here is how you do it.

Read all about it:

http://www.oregonlawhelp.org/docume...nt Booklet - English PDF.pdf?stateabbrev=/OR/

http://www.evictionresources.com/eviction_process_articles/oregon_eviction_process.html

http://asuorental.uoregon.edu/rights.php

He has not paid since Dec 1, 2011 and he's supposed to leave on Jan 15, 2012 (a total of 1.5 months). The contract says he paid last month's rent, which is between Dec 15, 2011 and Jan 15, 2012.

Can I issue a non-payment of rent notice for the period between Dec 1 and Dec 15?

Thanks

He has not paid since Dec 1, 2011 and he's supposed to leave on Jan 15, 2012 (a total of 1.5 months). The contract says he paid last month's rent, which is between Dec 15, 2011 and Jan 15, 2012.

Can I issue a non-payment of rent notice for the period between Dec 1 and Dec 15?

Thanks

Sure, you can issue such a notice.

Know this, if he doesn't leave of his own volition, you'll have to go to court to evict him.

Evictions take from six to eight (sometimes more) weeks to effect.

If I were you, I'd do nothing to ruffle his feathers except encourage him to leave!

You make these deadbeats angry, or annoy them, they'll make your life a living hell.

He knows his rights.

At this point, forget any money he might owe you.

If he didn't pay then, what makes you think he'll pay now?

Think about it, he's looking for hand outs and freebies.

Its Christmas, and his mind isn't fixated on paying you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back