Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Larceny at Military Exchange

twenty5charlie

Jurisdiction
Kentucky
My son was caught shoplifting at the Fort Campbell Exchange. He received a letter from the exchange to pay for "damages" and restocking of the items recovered from him in the amount of $240. He was told that he would receive a court order from Kentucky, which he did. What can I expect would happen to him. His court appearance is Sept 7, 2017. At the time of the crime he was 19 years old. Please advise. Thanks!

What can I expect would happen to him.

Not all that much THIS time, if he keeps it up, it'll get worse.

If he pleads guilty, he'll have a theft conviction on his criminal record.
It is a federal conviction, and he might find job opportunities limited for a very long time.
He could lose his Exchange privileges if he persists in this foolish behavior, but the FIRST time that usually won't happen.

He's likely to get a lecture from the magistrate, be required to pay some fines and court costs (that is in addition to what he paid to AAFES), required to take a class or two on ethics/honesty, do 40-80 hours of community service, some people have to take drug tests, most people get a probation officer who'll determine when he reports and where, the place where he lives and works will be subject to random searches at all hours of the 24 hour, 7 day a week clock, and he might have to undergo a psych eval.

Each case is treated differently, so as the Mickey Mouse Club would say on Wednesdays, "anything can happen day".

Just to be clear... He should NOT plead guilty.
If it is a first offense he may be presented with options to avoid the conviction and still come away from this squeaky clean... Just a little poorer.

Not all that much THIS time, if he keeps it up, it'll get worse.

If he pleads guilty, he'll have a theft conviction on his criminal record.
It is a federal conviction, and he might find job opportunities limited for a very long time.
He could lose his Exchange privileges if he persists in this foolish behavior, but the FIRST time that usually won't happen.

He's likely to get a lecture from the magistrate, be required to pay some fines and court costs (that is in addition to what he paid to AAFES), required to take a class or two on ethics/honesty, do 40-80 hours of community service, some people have to take drug tests, most people get a probation officer who'll determine when he reports and where, the place where he lives and works will be subject to random searches at all hours of the 24 hour, 7 day a week clock, and he might have to undergo a psych eval.

Each case is treated differently, so as the Mickey Mouse Club would say on Wednesdays, "anything can happen day".
Yes, his Exchange privileges are revoked for a year. He was shook up as I ordered the MP to keep him in the brig for a night. We all hope this was his big wake up moment and quit his foolish ways.

Yes, his Exchange privileges are revoked for a year. He was shook up as I ordered the MP to keep him in the brig for a night. We all hope this was his big wake up moment and quit his foolish ways.

Tough love is often overlooked.

Good for you, hope your son learns from this sad incident.

I don't know how he'll defend himself if he pleads NOT guilty.

He, as is every other criminal defendant is cloaked in INNOCENCE until he's proven, or he pleads guilty.

He pleads not guilty and asks the court of he qualifies to receive a public defender.

The judge asks him a few simple questions, and presto-whammo, he'll have a taxpayer funded lawyer.

The not guilty plea is because its his right, but it allows the US attorney an opportunity review the matter and offer him a diversionary sentencing.

It often goes like this, he takes the plea deal, pleads guilty, gets probation, stays out of trouble for a specified period of time, returns to court, the judge dismisses the charge.

As long as he obeys what his probation officer tells him to do, he'll walk away with a nearly empty wallet, but his record will remain pristine.

Back