Giving Notice Landlord wont give me her address for 30 day notice

M

mfalmog

Jurisdiction
Washington
My wife and I have to move out for work purposes. We have a one year lease and have been here for six months. I have written a Notice to Vacate and would like to mail it to her but she doesn't respond to me with her address. I've emailed and texted... I plan to call but I wouldn't want to be too forceful.

Also, she agreed over the phone that I can look for tenants to sign the lease over to. I have found several interested applicants which is great but she doesn't respond to me when I ask her if I can give them her phone number.

What should I do? Can I post her facebook page? Law states that she is required to mitigate damages (and make reasonable effort to find a tenant), but It doesn't seem like she's too interested in finding another renter.

Please help.

Thank you

You can look up the property owner's address on the county assessor's website.

Just understand that giving her notice doesn't absolve you of the consequences of breaching your lease.

You are right about mitigation but the mitigation requirement doesn't start until you have abandoned the property and ceased paying rent.

See RCW 59.18.310:

RCW 59.18.310: Default in rent—Abandonment—Liability of tenant—Landlord's remedies—Sale of tenant's property by landlord, deceased tenant exception.

No offense, but please keep in mind that you are the breaching party, the bad guy as it were, and the landlord has no obligation to cooperate with you no matter what she told you on the phone.

It is her advantage to ignore you and stall while you continue to pay the rent and be frustrated.

You might want to just bite the bullet, pack up and leave, and mail her the keys once you have her address.

PS: I can't imagine anybody not getting the landlord's phone number and address upon first renting the place.

Back