Landlord threatening me with eviction

Christian Rachel

Jurisdiction
Wisconsin
My landlord gave me a "21 day notice" to fix damage done to the property and claimed he would ask me to "vacate the property" if not fixed within that time. The damage is some kicked out dirt on the lawn from guests parking on the road, and partially in the yard. The damage was done by multiple guests of different tenants on the property but he has an picture of my vehicle parked next to where the damage is and keeps black mailing me specifically and no one else, to fix it. I fixed up the spots that were damaged and he isn't ever satisfied and will ask me to change something about it or redo it and taunting to me that I have "until Friday until the 21 days are up".

Can he legally keep asking me to do more just so I won't complete what he wants within the 21 day time frame? Can he even give me a "21 day notice" to fix something. He said this word-for-word about the notice, "Also you may go on line for yourself to find this notice of 21 days falls under the landlord-tenant lease agreement for PERSON PROPERTY DAMAGE....& if not fixed with in that time you will be asked to vacate the property." When searching for whatever he was talking about, I found nothing.

My landlord gave me a "21 day notice" to fix damage done to the property and claimed he would ask me to "vacate the property" if not fixed within that time.

Have you read your lease?

If NOT, I suggest you do so.

If you are occupying the premises as a tenant at will, I suggest you read up on at will tenancies in WI:

Wisconsin Notice Requirements to Terminate a Month-to-Month Tenancy

Can he legally keep asking me to do more just so I won't complete what he wants within the 21 day time frame?

If he HAS, I submit that he does have the ability to do so, thus he CAN!

Bottom line, you might wish to find yourself a more suitable landlord before the landlord gets it right and you're gone!

Can he legally keep asking me to do more

Yes.

Your defense is that what you did was sufficient. Upload a photo of the "damaged" area if you want an opinion about it.

just so I won't complete what he wants

I have no idea what his motives are.

Can he even give me a "21 day notice" to fix something.

Actually, he could have given you 5 days. See Wis statute 704.17(1)(b)1:

2017 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations :: Chapter 704. Landlord and tenant. :: 704.17 Notice terminating tenancies for failure to pay rent or other breach by tenant.

21 days is a gift. When the time is up he will have to give you 14 days notice of termination of tenancy.

This sounds like something that can be fixed with a rake and a tiny bit of effort.
If you want to stay where you live you might want to put forth that effort. Maintaining the property is often a part of the lease agreement.
If you don't mind packing up and moving and risking eviction then call his bluff and see what happens.

Back