Landlord shouldn't have certain rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMELLERBE

My situation is simple. I paid a landlordfirst month rent and a deposit in the month of August with a signed lease and a verbal agreement of what I expected to be fixed before I move in. After a month, the lanlord still hadn't done as agreed. So after I gave much thought after talking with him several times, I came to the conclusion that he was not the type I wanted to rent from and I didn't even want to move in the house. He insisted that I would not get my money back and I end up paying more money to sue him in court to no avail. I really want to know if this is legal, because I have been in this situation before and the same Judge handled it, but he did nothing right in this case, just because the landlord has connection with the Judge. Even tho I signed the lease and he never gave me a copy and I just feel the lease should have been voided since I never moved in and the Judge wrote me a letter a couple days later and stated he dismissed the case for lack of evidence.What tha bleep!!!!!!! I paid money never moved in, what evidence is needed? Somebody H.ELP me to usderstand.

You took the wrong action. You had upperhand until you breached agreement. What you should have done first get repair agreement in writing! Especially since your posts hints this is not first time you have been burned in similar manner. Second you should have documented the repairs and submitted them to landlord in the approved manner set up by landlord (in writing). then and only then would you have the legal means to fight this if repair was big enough issue. Landlord is right he will win this. Your best move now is to move in and deal with this is proper manner you should also get the repair agreement in writing

Easy win for the landlord.
You signed in to the agreement- you need to follow the rules of the lease, and if it is not covered in the lease you need to follow the rules established in your state law.
It is your own fault you did not have a copy of the lease. You should have insisted on a copy at the time you signed it.
As said above, if you had followed the right procedure you would have had a solid complaint against the landlord- assuming the needed repairs were legitimate.

From your posting, it appears that all discussions regarding what you "expected to be fixed" prior to moving in were verbal. Thus, you had no evidence to prove that this discussion even took place....and the judge dismissed your case due to lack of evidence to prove your side of the story.

Simply failing to move in somewhere does not void a signed lease.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back