Landlord shared my unlisted telephone number with other tenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

yosemitebeauty

I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I have recently moved into a new residence because my ex-landlord and I did not agree on several matters. Much of our communication was via e-mail.

QUESTION #1: Is it legal for the landlord to share landlord/tenant e-mail correspondence with other non-privileged tenants in the home?

These e-mails that I wrote concerned the moving out and related issues--none of which should have involved the other tenants as they are not the landlord nor are they an agent of the landlord. My biggest concern is that my e-mail contained my private contact information (including my unlisted home number).

I wrote to this landlord once before and asked her to "please respect my right to privacy and keep this between the landlord and tenant (you and me) only." This was after I saw that she had copied another tenant (a female) with a previous e-mail communique. Yet, in spite of that request, 2 weeks later, the landlord shared my my e-mail, containing my unlisted telephone number on it, with a male tenant in the home. I don't know this man very well--in effect, this man is nearly a stranger to me.

And now, I am understandably paranoid after having received an anonymous, blocked phone call yesterday. The caller did not identify him/herself and never hung up after I said 'hello' three times. I have been stressing out since that phone call. That is the first time I have ever received a phone call like that in the past two years that I've had unlisted phone service.

I have many reasons why my number is unlisted: 1) I have been the past victim of identity theft; 2) I have been stalked by an acquaintance; 3) Years ago, my life was threatened by an ex-husband; 4) I am a surviving rape victim.

Now, because of yesterday's phone call, I am afraid. I have contacted the telephone company and am now going to start paying approximately $10 more a month to block anonymous phone calls and activate Caller I.D.

QUESTION #2: Is there any lawful remedy to this issue?

I feel that this landlord is now costing me additional monies, not to mention the emotional distress I have been experiencing as painful memories have been resurrected because of yesterday's phone call.

Is there any lawful remedy to this issue?
Send your former landlord a cease and desist letter requesting that your information not to be shared with anyone otherwise you will have to take legal action against him/her. That should be enough to stop the landlord on his/her tracks. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back