landlord refuses to replace air conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbjm722

Our landlord was notified in person about 2 1/2 months ago that our air conditioner was not functioning properly. It blew air, but wasn't cold. They promptly sent out one of their contractors who proceeded to remove the a/c, take it downstairs and hose it off. He put it back in the window and left. When I came home that night, I turned it on and nothing happened. It just made a humming noise. I called them and told them. They said they would send someone out. No one has showed up. I have called them every few days since and have gotten different answers. At first they said that they had it on order and it should be in on "Friday" which turned into "Monday" which turned into the next Friday and so on. Then they said there was a problem with the distributor (Home Depot). I then asked if I could go to Home Depot and purchase a unit myself- then deduct the amount from my rent. They said I was welcome to purchase my own a/c, but they would not reimburse me. I called back a week later and was told very rudely that they did not have authorization from their corporate office to purchase a/c's for any of the tenants. They said "Sorry, i don't know what to tell you." When I reminded them that it was their employee who further damaged the a/c I got the same answer. "Don't know what to tell you." Is there any legal way to make them reimburse me? Summer in Miami Beach with no a/c is horrible. :0(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back