Landlord making us buy a new sliding door

As I read it you have a valid one year lease. It is not uncommon for there to be no move out date because frequently tenants remain after the first year, at which time the agreement becomes month to month under the same terms (no be lease necessary).
The month to month language here appears to be relevant to when rent is due, nothing more.
Do what you want, but I don't believe you are in the jam you think you are in.

As I read it you have a valid one year lease. It is not uncommon for there to be no move out date because frequently tenants remain after the first year, at which time the agreement becomes month to month under the same terms (no be lease necessary).
The month to month language here appears to be relevant to when rent is due, nothing more.
Do what you want, but I don't believe you are in the jam you think you are in.

I second what the Mighty one said, for what its worth, mate.

So we sent a letter to the landlord last week and today got an email from a rental agency as well as a hand delivered letter as my fiance pulled into the driveway

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170222-153539.png
    Screenshot_20170222-153539.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 3
This is the hand delivered letter

I'd confirm and verify this change before paying these people a dime and giving them my financial information, as it could be a SCAM.

There's nothing other than their CLAIM they're in charge.

Anyone could write such a letter.

If it were me, I'd want proof, lots of proof.

Ditto. I too would want confirmation from the landlord that the rent is to be paid elsewhere. Otherwise the rent goes to the usual place per the lease agreement while this new entity gets a letter stating where the rent was paid.

And they wrote back with this.

You might want to take all of your documentation to your lawyer.
I find their approach highly unusual, suspicious, and possibly illegal.
They might not be scammers, but you need to vigilant.

Furthermore, this type of correspondence should be sent via certified or registered US Mail, FedEx, UPS, or a delivery service that offers delivery receipt information.

I suspect that your out processing might also be complicated by these recent revlations.

My spidy senses are tingling, indicating that your original LL may be facing foreclosure.

You might wish to check local court sites to see what you can learn.

Ditto on the above about correspondence. Better to send snail mail with receipt than by email. This is also a good delay tactic.

I still would abide by the terms of the lease until the landlord provides written notice to do otherwise.

A notarized letter probably isn't necessary, so long as you have something in writing with clear identification and a signature.

It sounds as if you have obtained legal assistance already, so your best advice will come from there.

Well it's official now I guess.

I don't think it's official if the rental agency doesn't have authority to give 30 day notices.

The LL is required to officially notify you if a property manager or agent is appointed per WA state law.

(15) Designate to the tenant the name and address of the person who is the landlord by a statement on the rental agreement or by a notice conspicuously posted on the premises. The tenant shall be notified immediately of any changes in writing, which must be either (a) delivered personally to the tenant or (b) mailed to the tenant and conspicuously posted on the premises. If the person designated in this section does not reside in the state where the premises are located, there shall also be designated a person who resides in the county who is authorized to act as an agent for the purposes of service of notices and process, and if no designation is made of a person to act as agent, then the person to whom rental payments are to be made shall be considered such agent. Regardless of such designation, any owner who resides outside the state and who violates a provision of this chapter is deemed to have submitted himself or herself to the jurisdiction of the courts of this state and personal service of any process may be made on the owner outside the state with the same force and effect as personal service within the state. Any summons or process served out-of-state must contain the same information and be served in the same manner as personal service of summons or process served within the state, except the summons or process must require the party to appear and answer within sixty days after such personal service out of the state. In an action for a violation of this chapter that is filed under chapter 12.40 RCW, service of the notice of claim outside the state must contain the same information and be served in the same manner as required under chapter 12.40 RCW, except the date on which the party is required to appear must not be less than sixty days from the date of service of the notice of claim.

RCW 59.18.060: Landlord—Duties.

It's unfortunate you put a deposit on that door. You should see if you can recover it or a portion of it and find a cheaper repair. It seems you aren't going to get any assistance from the landlord despite previous promises.

Only thing I can see doing is move out and take landlord to court later and try to recoup money. Worried that if we don't send payment on the first for March we can have bad stuff put on our record which will make it hard to rent anywhere else.

Think we will tell glass company to deal with the landlord as far as the install and rest of the cost. Think we will also just send the rent to the landlord since she never told us she was switching to an agency but rather had the agency contact us directly one day and post a letter on the door the next day.

Only thing I can see doing is move out and take landlord to court later and try to recoup money. Worried that if we don't send payment on the first for March we can have bad stuff put on our record which will make it hard to rent anywhere else.

Think we will tell glass company to deal with the landlord as far as the install and rest of the cost. Think we will also just send the rent to the landlord since she never told us she was switching to an agency but rather had the agency contact us directly one day and post a letter on the door the next day.

Make sure you notify the "agent" by copying them on the payment to the LL.
Send the "agent" a COPY of the check you're sending to the LL.
Use USPS regisetered mail, return receipt requested, or USPS Priority Mail, because you also get PROOF of DELIVERY, but request a signature of recipient, either way.

You could also use FedEx or UPS overnight letters, and request a signature upon delivery.

Keep copies of ALL correspondence.

Yes, don't fail to pay, or these creeps will try to destroy your FICO.

Keep us posted, as this has turned out to be very intriguing. LOL

Dang it. My fiance without my knowledge sent an email to the landlord asking if she hired the rental agency and she replied that she did. I really wanted it in writing so it would be above board and more useful in court. Now I am guessing we have to send rent to the agency. I have heard that emails aren't so great in court.

Back