Breaking a Lease Landlord is not providing adequate hot water

badcaraccident

Jurisdiction
New York
I am living in an apartment building and pay my rent on time. Unfortunately the hot water hasn't been working for several days this month and also last month. I don't want to have to shower every morning with freezing cold water and I have given the landlord plenty of time to fix the problem. The building management keeps saying that it should be fine and that they called the plumber again but it never is. There are a bunch of other issues in the building (such as tenants throwing their trash all over the place in the garbage area which is always over full and never clean.) Can I break the lease and leave to another apartment? What can I do?

I am living in an apartment building and pay my rent on time. Unfortunately the hot water hasn't been working for several days this month and also last month. I don't want to have to shower every morning with freezing cold water and I have given the landlord plenty of time to fix the problem. The building management keeps saying that it should be fine and that they called the plumber again but it never is. There are a bunch of other issues in the building (such as tenants throwing their trash all over the place in the garbage area which is always over full and never clean.) Can I break the lease and leave to another apartment? What can I do?

You have to do many things in ORDER, if you want to break a lease for failure of the landlord to make the unit habitable.

Read how this must be done in your state, as revealed by your NY State Attorney General:

https://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/Tenants_Rights.pdf

Back