1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Landlord Illegally Changed Locks To My Apartment To Lock Me Out Unlawful Eviction

Discussion in 'Other Residential Landlord & Tenant Issues' started by nicrig2000, May 25, 2015.

1. nicrig2000

nicrig2000 Law Topic Starter New Member

Suffolk County N.Y.
    Town of Brookhaven

The landlord changed locks to my apartment
    I confirmed with the Landlord/Tenant Court & the Sheriff's Department, that no legal eviction proceedings were filed against me.

I have no idea if my possessions have been disposed of. No notice given 2 me & again, illegal lockout.

Can I have a locksmith come & remove her locks & have new ones installed, so I can get back into my apartment??? I don't know when she changed the lock, as I had been ill & recuperating at a family members home. She illegally did "self-help", I should be able to "self-help" back into my apartment. As what she did was illegal.

Thank you,
    Lisa

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

When people use "self help" remedies, things get complicated and turn sour rapidly.
    That said, in this case, IF things are as you say; and you are legally entitled to occupy the premises with a valid lease, see if a locksmith can help you.

If you are behind on your rent, and the landlord believes you abandoned the unit for weeks, months, etc...; when this does get to court, get ready for a bumpy ride.

Read this Nassau-Suffolk Legal Aid article on illegal lockouts and give the agency a call on Tuesday for additional advice.

http://nslawservices.org/wp/?page_id=168

More legal information, and maybe legal aid:

http://www.lifairhousing.org/index.php/eviction

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  3. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

A locksmith may be reluctant to do this for you.
    Have you contacted the landlord yet to ask for a key?