Landlord Harrassing/Making False Allegations To Get Me To Leave

aim900

Jurisdiction
California
About a week ago my landlady asked me if I had seen a "financial document" of hers on the coffee table. I rent a room (and have NO access to any other room in the house, except the bathroom and hall that leads past the living room to the front door. She has padlocks on every door inside the house). Anyway, she said her document was missing and asked me if I took it. I told her No.

On February 28th I paid rent for March (in cash, as always per her rules). The next morning she told me I had to move, and be out by midnight [that night]. Not possible, of course. I asked her if she was prepared to return my security deposit, and she said yes.

Well, she must have thought about that for a minute because last night when I got home from work, she told me to get out or she would move me out. I went to my room, started to undress ... she barged in without knocking -- yelled at me, threatened me, etc. I asked her what I did - she told me I was a liar and a con artist, and I damaged her property. I saw that last one coming. So much for that security deposit! lol

This woman is completely Looney Toons - Certifiable, from day one.

I overheard her on the phone last night, on speaker, that I took a stack of financial documents from her (the one page turned into a stack), and a checkbook, and $500 in cash that was on the coffee table ... she just kept adding things as the conversation went on. She said she wanted to get the police involved - but she didn't call them.

I have a feeling this woman does this all the time. It came out of nowhere, after 3 months - I have been an ideal tenant and I'm almost never there. She is always there.

Is it possible to find out how many times she has called the police and reported a theft, damage, etc. on other tenants in the past?

Is there anything I can do to protect myself so she doesn't have me arrested if I go home?

I will probably just go to a hotel, but I hate that she is getting away with this.

You won't be arrested if you go home, but it does seem in your best interest to leave as soon as you can. Don't worry about the deposit now- you will likely have to jump through hoops to get it later, if at all.
No, you don't have to be out the day she demands and no police officer is going to support her on that request. Crazy is crazy though. This sounds like a situation that won't get better any time soon and there is no reason to try and stay.
Are you the ONLY tenant at the residence? If so you are technically a lodger as far as California statutes are concerned and the eviction process is somewhat expedited if the crazy lady pursues it, so don't waste time. If there is even one other tenant then you are protect under the regular landlord/tenant rules for eviction.
So to be clear- you do not HAVE to move out, but it might be simpler for you if you do, even if at a bit of a cost. You could potentially bring a civil action against her for forcing you out but I suspect she isn't the type to pay up and isn't worth the effort.
These are risks you take when sharing another person's residence.

As for previous police reports, it should be public record. If you contact the police department and provide the address they may be able to give you some history, but they will have some discretion over how much info to share. At a minimum you might get the date, type of call, and name of the complainant.

No. I did get a receipt for the deposit. But everything else was verbal.

A written lease is not important. You would be covered by state statutes.
The question is whether you are tenant or lodger.

Even if a lodger, if you were paying rent every 30 days then the landlord would be required to give 30 days notice. I don't think I would want to stick around for 30 days of drama, but I wouldn't be forced out overnight either.

Yes, there is another tenant. We share a bathroom, but he has a private entrance.

And, yeah I wasn't expecting to get the deposit back at all.

Yes, there is another tenant. We share a bathroom, but he has a private entrance.

And, yeah I wasn't expecting to get the deposit back at all.

A friend of mine was actually arrested when her landlord called the police on her, claiming she stole from him when she wouldn't pay extra for electricity (it was a very hot summer). She was taken to jail. That's why I'm a little leery. She owns the home, and I'm just renting a room.

I can only speculate as to the reason for your friends arrest, but there must have been more than a tenant dispute.
The living situation you describe means that you are a tenant and you're protected by California statutes even without your written lease.
To legally force you out your landlord must follow the regular eviction process. That doesn't mean that your landlord wouldn't do various illegal things. You stay at your own risk. You do have options available to you if you were forced out illegally.

Is there anything I can do to protect myself so she doesn't have me arrested if I go home?

No one can have another person arrested.
A person calls the police, the police respond, the police investigate.
If the facts warrant it, the police make an arrest.

Renting a room in someone's home rarely ends well for either party.
First off, you live with someone you know nothing about.
Why would anyone risk her/his life living among strangers?
Heck, siblings kill each other, mothers kill babies, and fathers slay the entire family unit.
As if living among those you think you know can proves to be hazardous to one's health, living amongst strangers even even riskier.

Get out ASAP.

Find your own apartment, even if its only a studio.

I've had disagreements with many people, but I've never sexually assaulted myself, stole my money, molested myself, or beat myself about the head until I bleed.

Protect yourself by vacating that home and getting as far away from that refugee from a Looney Tunes cartoon of the 1950s.

Back