Landlord Changing Due Date Of Rent

Status
Not open for further replies.

maria_maria

Hi!

I am an at will tenant in Georgia. Recently (within 2 weeks) My landlord stated that rent would be due on the first of the month otherwise she would precede with an eviction. When I moved in my landlord agreed (verbally) that rent would be due at the end of the month because for the first 3 months of tenancy the utilities stayed in her name. So there was one check at the end of the month including utilities. Now she wants the rent on the first of the month when I have NEVER paid on the first. Can she do this without giving me some sort of written notice? How much notice am I entitled to in the state of Georgia?

Gail in Georgia will likely have your answer once she sees this thread. However as general rule changes in rental agreement (when there is no lease) must take place after notice period which is usually one rental period or in your case one month. I am speaking in genreal as i stated Gail will likely have your legal answer

jacksgal is correct.

It's important to understand that in a tenancy at will (or a month to month tenancy) the lease begins on the first day of the month and ends on the last day, only to repeat itself unless either the tenant or the landlord gives written notice regarding the termination of such (in Georgia is this a 30 day notice for the tenant but a 60 day notice for the landlord).

Because there is no written lease (which would specify the rules that either side must follow during the length of the lease), things can change as each new monthly tenancy begins. For example, the landlord can increase the rent on a monthly basis if that is what they wish to do. Because of this ability to make changes, it is ALWAYS good to get such notices in writing so that both sides have a clear understanding of what is required by each other.

Tenancy at will leases don't provide the tenant with as much protection as a written lease but they do allow them to terminate such a lease very easily to find another place to rent (and remember that neither side need give a reason for doing so).

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back