Landlord changed lease after signing, holds me in default

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyontamer

Is it acceptable to alter certain filled-in terms on a lease after the tenant has signed it?

After signing on June 12, the original due date of the rent and original late fee was written over with a new sooner due date and higher late fee. I did not receive photo-copies of my lease until 7-weeks later, on the day I was also given 30-day's notice to move on grounds that I've been habitually paying rent late, along with a bill for the late fees. These are not the numbers I agreed to. Additionally, although I do not have the original, the "corrections" and the original numbers are evident in the photocopy and are not initialed by either party.

I have a good oportunity lined up now and have chosen to move out anyway. However, if landlord pursues me for more money, do I have a case? I did not get copies the day of signing (foolishly trusting that landlord would keep his word of mailing them within 24 hours) so it would be difficult to prove that it was changed.

There's much more to the story but I'm especially concerned about these uninitialed cross-outs, along with the length of time it took to get me the promised photocopies. Would a judge throw out that article in the lease?

Since these modifications are not based on an agreement they would be void - if you can prove that they were made after the original was signed. The fact that the contract forms show these terms were altered point towards your side, so it is possible, may be even likely, that a judge would agree. More can't be said here without seeing the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back