Landlord and/or Lawyer Constantly on Property

Miguel Estrada

Jurisdiction
California
I live in a gated, 2 building, 16-unit apartment complex where the buildings surround an open courtyard. The landlord and/or her lawyer are constantly on the property - 3 to 4 times per week. Are they required to notify residents that they will be on the premises? To be clear, they are not entering my unit. They are either placing notices on doors, or knocking on resident doors to inquire about rent payments.

I live in a gated, 2 building, 16-unit apartment complex where the buildings surround an open courtyard. The landlord and/or her lawyer are constantly on the property - 3 to 4 times per week. Are they required to notify residents that they will be on the premises? To be clear, they are not entering my unit. They are either placing notices on doors, or knocking on resident doors to inquire about rent payments.

No, neither person is required by law to notify tenants when they walk the public areas of the property.

No. The landlord has no obligation to notify residents that he/she (or his/her agent) will be on the apartment property, as long as he/she is not entering any tenant's leased premises.

What would make you think such a notice might be required?

I don't understand why the OP thinks that the owner or his/her agents (acting in their appropriate capacity) need "permission" to enter the common areas of his/her own property.

Back