1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

L2 Visa - Self employment query L Visa

Discussion in 'Investment, Work Visa' started by lwalv, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lwalv

lwalv Law Topic Starter New Member

Hi, I am a recent arrival in the US, and I hold an L-2 visa. My husband holds an L-1A visa. I've been going to interviews with prospective employers, assuming my EAD application would be handled speedily. I've just found out that I could be waiting 90 days + for my EAD. So I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there any way of speeding up the EAD application process? e.g. taking in a letter from a prospective employer, hiring a lawyer, going in person to USCIS?

2) My professional skills could allow me the possibility of freelancing to other companies. Technically, I would be working for myself in my own business. I'd be a contractor, not an employee of a company that hired me. I understand that L-2 visa holders can run their own businesses, and I'd only do the freelance work till I had an EAD.

Can you give me some advice? Thank you.

2. NYClex

NYClex New Member

The answer is no and no. There is no way to speed the USCIS, if there would be one, thousands of people would attempt to do it. And without an EAD you cannot do any work, no freelancing, nothing.