Keyless electronic locks

Sharon H

Jurisdiction
Texas
I just moved into a duplex that only has one deadbolt lock on each door, not two. The lock is one of those new "keyless" locks in which you enter a code to unlock it.

Previously, I always had a second deadbolt that couldn't be opened from the outside at all.

I read the code and it says "keyless" lock. Does this mean that they don't have to install the second lock. I'm certain that the intent was to install locks that could not be opened from the outside in any way.

I read the code and it says "keyless" lock. Does this mean that they don't have to install the second lock.

If, in fact, you're referring to section 92.153 of the Texas Property Code, subsection (a) clearly says that residential real property "must be equipped with," among other things, "(2) a doorknob lock or keyed dead bold on each exterior door . . . and (5) a keyless bolting device and a door viewer on each exterior door of the dwelling." Section 92.153 contains various exceptions to the requirement for "a keyless bolting device" and additional requirements for dwellings with French doors.

Bottom line, unless one of the unique circumstances applies to you, all exterior doors must have both (1) "a keyless bolting device" and (2) "a doorknob lock or keyed dead bolt." There is no absolute requirement for multiple deadbolts or "bolting devices."

Do the two doors to which you've referred have doorknob locks in addition to the keyless devices?

That chain, effectiveness issues aside, would not appear to meet what the Texas Code requires: a doorknob lock or keyed dead bolt.
Yes, and the door has that. Now, if it has the interior chain lock, as mentioned above, it would meet the requirements since that is a "keyless bolting device".

Yes, and the door has that. Now, if it has the interior chain lock, as mentioned above, it would meet the requirements since that is a "keyless bolting device".
The chain does not meet the requirement because it is not a bolting device. There is nothing that extends from the door into the doorjamb .

Back