K Visa K-1, K-3 (have read previous threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostcdn

Hi Everyone,

First I would just like to say this is a great site and has given me more information than I've found in all my other immigrations sites combined!

I have read most of the posts that are similiar to my situation, IE: I entered the US as tourist without an I-94 and have been spending most of my time here since moving in with my boyfriend. We are going to get married. I have read that obtaining an I-94 would not make the most sense for me and could possibly raise suspicions? If I understand the previous post correctly, than I think the best route is to go back to Canada and have my fiance apply for a K-1, then come back and get married? Does anyone know how long it will take for the K-1 to be filed/approved? Once obtained, do I just come back to the states and file for permanent residency? Do I tell the border agents that I am coming in on a K-1 to get marrried? Also, I have limited ties to Canda (part time job, no car); will that affect my K-1?
Also, does any know the approximate cost involved if I go through an attorney? (The paperwork is so itimidating to me!) Will it speed the process to have an attorney?

Thank you in advance!
:confused:

I am not a lawyer but you can get married and then file for k3 visa, its on the same application you just have to skip some parts.
I have heard it takes a few weeks, then once you get that you can live in the states but can't work. But as soon as you are approved for your k3 you can apply for adjustment of status i think it i-765.
I am going through what you are going through and thats what i have learned so far, that application i think takes a few months, then you can work.
hope this helps a bit

I think though; that if i marry first, I have to go back to Canada and apply for the K-3 and wait in Canada for the approval but if i apply for the K-1first I can go the the states, get married, stay there and apply for an adjustment of status?? (Sorry; I can't remember all the actual names/numbers of the forms). Does anyone know which is quicker/easier?
Also, "SWEET CANADIAN", are you using an immigration attorney? If so, in CDN or USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back