juvenile sex offender question

Status
Not open for further replies.

liv_benson2013

if a 15 yr old is convicted of a sex offense, and is labeled a sex offender, once they turn 18 do they have to register with the state adult registry? I am doing a paper on this subject so any input will be useful.

It depends on how serious the sex offense was.As a juvenile, they are placed on a non public registry which is not much of a difference except for who sees it, however At age 18, juveniles who have adjudications for Criminal Sexual Conduct 1st Degree and Criminal Sexual Conduct 2nd Degree are placed on the public registry. Except for the difference in public access, juveniles are not treated any differently than adults. They still have an obligation to fulfill the same registration requirements as adults, and must abide by other laws that apply to registered offenders.---hope this helps

thank you for your reply, i rencently spoke with a detective and he was saying about the way it is done poses a problem not only for the community but for officers. any insight into that?? He didnt elaborate on it just said that and it was it.

I concur with Jlo, having worked in a juvenile detention center setting for a while. Good luck on your paper. It's probably long done by now though =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back