Criminal Trials, Hearings juvenile court vs criminal court

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwebb

Earlier in the year my wife and I were charged with child abuse without harm. A juvenile court in state x ( where we live) dismissed the case with prejudice. State y ( the criminal court) has yet to decide if they will go forward or not. Juvenile court had a less burden of proof to prove then the criminal court, what would be the hold up on the criminal court side?

Earlier in the year my wife and I were charged with child abuse without harm. A juvenile court in state x ( where we live) dismissed the case with prejudice. State y ( the criminal court) has yet to decide if they will go forward or not. Juvenile court had a less burden of proof to prove then the criminal court, what would be the hold up on the criminal court side?

I suggest you consult with a lawyer in state Y.

My crystal ball, chicken bones, and tea cup are all being refurbished; so anything I say would only be an unscientific guess.

In one of your prior threads, you noted you have hired a law firm. You need to work with & ask your lawyer your questions. There is no way for us to know.

I have, I got on here just for more opinion. My question was more of do you guys feel that if a juvenile court makes a decision , is it the "norm" that criminal court would follow suit. Given all circumstances are the same in both courts. Betty3 in my prior questions I was seeking information on matters of law not opinion, I got alot of opinion.
Now im asking opinions on the procedure. On how one court affects another.

Each state is a sovereign.

What ccurred in STATE X, has nothing to do with what occurs in STATE Y.

The title of the court isn't relevant, only the court's authority to try or hear the case.

As long as double jeopardy doesn't attach, Y has nothing to do with X.

Your lawyer and you should discuss the matter with the state persecutor in STATE Y.

The decision derived from STATE X has no influence on what could happen in STATE Y.

Last edited:
Thank you sir, it's very easy to talk with attorneys in my home state, not so easy of the state that is 1000 miles away. This forum gives fast answers which is why I like it. Thanks again

I have, I got on here just for more opinion. My question was more of do you guys feel that if a juvenile court makes a decision , is it the "norm" that criminal court would follow suit. Given all circumstances are the same in both courts. Betty3 in my prior questions I was seeking information on matters of law not opinion, I got alot of opinion.
Now im asking opinions on the procedure. On how one court affects another.

In your 1st post above you asked "what would be the hold up on the criminal court side?" We said talk to your lawyer - there is no way we could make an educated guess. (no crystal ball here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back