Business Bankruptcy Judgment during bankruptcy how to vacate

Status
Not open for further replies.

glad2hunt

Here are the facts
-I filed chapter 7 BK in 10/14/2005 and standard discharge 4/13/2006 and CLOSED 8/9/2006.
-I had a personal small claims suit for a vehicle sold on ebay, default judgement awarded May of 2006 (one month after BK discharged). Amount of $675.
-This small claims issue was discussed with my attorney in May of 2005 when the plaintiff sent a notice to me about the suit wanting me to pay for repair of the vehicle that I sold him as-is, and fees for wrecker service and motor repairs etc.
-MY BK attorney downplayed this by saying the judge would see the BK paperwork and vacate or not enter into judgement as a result.
-I RESEARCHED PACER docs online to find that this person was not included in list of creditors.
-I have researched HOW to submit a vacate from the NJ courts online and ready to do so..

MY QUESTIONS
-I am worried about pandoras box; my BK attorney does not practice any longer. Will this open a can of worms? I am required to send certified mail to plaintiff when I file request to vacate.
-Since the debt (not the court date) occurred during BK filing/and prior to BK discharge, will the judge see this as a reason to vacate?
-Without the BK paperwork showing this listed in creditor filing, will any BK paperwork suffice when I submit request to vacate?
-Do I need to attempt amending the BK paperwork to include this in my list of creditors? I have NO documentation supporting this since it was 5-years ago, other than the judgement amount and this persons contact information.

Is there a simpler method of getting this remedied besides motion to vacate?

This won't be simple.
You can hire an attorney to TRY and get the judgment vacated. But, on a $700 judgment, that would make unsound financial sense.

You can try and settle with the holder of the judgment.

Or, you could cough up the lousy $700 and be done with it.

Of course, the judgment will be reflected in your credit reports. But, it's been some time, so should age off in a little bit.

This is far more problematic than the $700. Even if you get it vacated, the damn credit bureaus will fight taking the stain off your name. But, the BK is there, so why bother!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back