Judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strodtman05

Hello I had a judgment filed against me for about 2761 in all medical bills they garnished my wages an took 1273. When I called to pay this off in full they made me pay 2883 for this to show paid in full. Can you explain to me how the amount to pay it in full was more than original judgement and didn't seem to be less the amour garnished from my checks?

Hello I had a judgment filed against me for about 2761 in all medical bills they garnished my wages an took 1273. When I called to pay this off in full they made me pay 2883 for this to show paid in full. Can you explain to me how the amount to pay it in full was more than original judgement and didn't seem to be less the amour garnished from my checks?

You did the math and it didn't add up, did it?

I did it, too, and found the difference astounding.

Something is wrong, and I suggest you speak with a local lawyer.

I suspect you'll have to sue them to get your money back.

It seems they clipped you for about $1400-1500 more than they alleged you owed.

Most states do allow creditors to add interest, collection costs, and attorney's fees to the balance of a judgment after the judgment is entered by the court, but the amount the creditor can add and how it must go about this process will largely depend on your state of residence.

Regardless your state of residence, a judgment creditor "usually" cannot increase the balance owed on a debt arbitrarily without court approval. Even though they are claiming you owe additional money on this debt, if you have not received a statement from the creditor outlining what charges it claims you now owe, you should always be cautious about making any additional payment.

You need to contact an attorney in your state re the additional amount you paid.

Thank you and I'm doing some major follow up here, I wouldn't have paid the lump sum but we are buying a house an needed to!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back