Judgement in Housing Court doesn't appear on credit reports but still on file

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestTerrace

I was evicted and a judgement entered 6/2005 in NYS Housing Court. While it no longer appears on ANY credit bureau reports, (removed after SOL expired) its still on file in L&T court and it is virtually impossible for me to rent an apt. Should I contact the landlord's atty to pay it off? Can he renew the judgement and report it to the credit bureaus?

It is permanent!

Unfortunately, it is not going to help your cause whether the judgment is paid off or if it continues to remain unpaid! And I don't quite understand why an Unlawful Detainer judgment should appear on a credit record, but that is now a moot point as it is no longer appears on your credit reports.

As to why the records pertaining to the eviction and the subsequent judgment are still visible at the court house, well, they are now part of the permanent public records and there they shall remain till time indefinite. So, not much point in worrying about it.

The court house records permanence notwithstanding, there is also another avenue by which the judgment, not the evidence of the eviction per se, can be viewed is at your County's Recorder Office where all manner of documents are recorded; such as deeds, conveyances, marriage, death, etc. Another type of document that is also routinely recorded with the County is an Abstract of Judgment which is filed by the prevailing party to a lawsuit, otherwise known as the Judgment Creditor.

And the characteristics of an Abstract of Judgment is just like the court records; which is PERMANENT, even if the judgment is later satisfied, which will yield nothing but a consolation recording titled RELEASE. So, you can settle the debt with the ex landlord and receive a release, but the entry evidence of the abstract of judgment will linger on forever. That said, it is not a mandatory action and so not all judgment creditors record the abstracts, so you may want to check the records to see whether there is one recorded against you.

Last but not least, judgments last for 10 years, renewable at the choosing of the creditor for another 10 years.

fredrikklaw

Thank you for the advice. I do realise that it is permanent but I considered contacting the landlord to settle the debt and request a letter of debt satisfaction. I would then submit that document to the housing court. I figured that once that is done, any prospective landlord would at least see that it was paid. My major concern is how should I initiate contact. I considered sending a debt validation letter to the landlord's atty (atty listed on file w/ L & T court) but I'm worried about them renewing the judgement and it hitting my credit reports. (back to square one!)

Thank you for the advice. I do realise that it is permanent but I considered contacting the landlord to settle the debt and request a letter of debt satisfaction. I would then submit that document to the housing court. I figured that once that is done, any prospective landlord would at least see that it was paid. My major concern is how should I initiate contact. I considered sending a debt validation letter to the landlord's atty (atty listed on file w/ L & T court) but I'm worried about them renewing the judgement and it hitting my credit reports. (back to square one!)

Even if you paid the judgment, it won't necessarily help you obtain a rental unit.

Some potential landlords will see the judgment, and not do business with you.

Others might see the fact you paid the judgment, and be amenable to doing business with you.

Bottom line, just paying won't fix this.

In fact, I know people that say they are unable to rent after paying the judgment in full right away.

The were sued 10-15 years ago.

the lesson here is that sometimes bad things never go away.

Don't look for a global solution, because it might only be a spot solution.

http://www.ehow.com/info_10065547_can-judgment-affect-renting-apartment.html

http://www.myjourneytomillions.com/...how-does-is-it-affect-your-personal-finances/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back