1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

joint ownership transfer to single owner

Discussion in 'Joint Ownership' started by Livingston22002, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Livingston22002

Livingston22002 Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    California
    I own property (land only) in California along with my two sisters, they are willing to give it to me and I am wondering what paperwork we need to file to take their names off the deed and leave only mine.
    Thanks

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

A QUIT CLAIM will accomplish what you wish.

Search the webz for examples of how you complete the form and where you can obtain copies of the form.

Livingston22002 likes this.
  3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

You cannot take anyone's name off a deed. If your sisters wish, they can execute a single deed or separate deeds that grant their interests in the property to you.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

A quitclaim deed is OK between family members but a general warranty deed is better and the difference is only a couple of sentences.

Is this a situation where the 3 of you inherited the house from your parents?

5. Livingston22002

Livingston22002 Law Topic Starter New Member

Yes exactly They are want to take their name off the deed.
    Could we do the warranty deed ourselves? or Do you recommend that we do this through a lawyer? Thanks for your reply

6. flyingron

flyingron Active Member

You don't take people off the deed in real estate. Each deed is a grant of some share (from zero to it all) of ownership from one party to another. Your sisters would want to use a quit claim, as they don't want to make any representations as to what their ownership actually is. You'd want at least a special warranty deed that says that the sisters didn't themselves do anything to encumber the property. You'll have to negotiate that.

Frankly, I suggest two things:

1. Get an attorney to draft the deeds, have them properly executed, and filed with the appropriate agency.

2. Get owner's title insurance. I wouldn't even take a gift of property from my sainted aunt without title insurance.

7. Richard Marvel

Richard Marvel New Member

You would have to have an attorney prepare and file a Quit Claim Deed. This will transfer the property from your sisters to you. The one point that you should inquire into is if your sisters are obligated under a promissory note regarding the land. If so and they want that obligation removed you will have to have them released from the note, or you will have to refinance on your own. good luck.