JD Degree

I have two very good friends I've know since Jr. High or longer. A is a Dentist, B worked as a caseworker for the state Dept of Rehab. B continued his education and much later ended up with a doctorate in social work of some sort.

For the first month or two, after he attained the degree, he refused to respond to A unless he was called Dr. B. B even had the staff at A's office change his records so all of the letters associated with the degree on his chart and computer system.

You probably had to know the guys and be there but it really was a funny couple of months and still twice a year when he has to actually go to the dentist.

I've always thought that Tom Baker was the best of the various actors who (pun kind of intended) have played the Doctor.

Same here. Tom Baker was my first exposure to The Doctor and I was so impressed that I had my then wife make me the scarf. Since then, (my vote) David Tennant ran second. The rest were various levels of OK.

I was enthusiastic about a female Doctor (finally) but Jodie Whitaker just didn't cut it.

Tom Baker was my first exposure to The Doctor...

He was my first Doctor, too, and it was he who got me interested in the show. When his turn in the TARDIS ended and I saw other Doctors — both before and after him — none of them ever quite matched what he brought to the role, IMO.

Now for a tougher question, who's your favorite of the Doctor's companions?

I'm having trouble picking first place so here's the top of my list in alphabetical order:

Clara Oswald
Jack Harkness
K-9
River Song
Rose Tyler
Sarah Jane Smith

(Somebody's got to give K-9 some credit. LOL)

In the 50's (I don't know about today) in Canada, you entered medical school directly out of high school; you didn't take an undergrad degree first. Canadian medical school 70 years ago was five years; again, I don't know if it is the same today.

My father entered med school at the University of Toronto in 1952 and graduated with his M.D. in 1957. Some twenty or so years later, I don't remember the exact year, he received his PhD from the University of Pennsylvania.

Thus becoming perhaps the only man in North America to have both an MD and a PhD without ever having an undergraduate degree.

He was my first Doctor, too, and it was he who got me interested in the show. When his turn in the TARDIS ended and I saw other Doctors — both before and after him — none of them ever quite matched what he brought to the role, IMO.

He was my first doctor too, and I kind of trailed off after he left the series. Until the reboot. David Tennant is a genius.

Now for a tougher question, who's your favorite of the Doctor's companions?

I'm having trouble picking first place so here's the top of my list in alphabetical order:

Clara Oswald
Jack Harkness
K-9
River Song
Rose Tyler
Sarah Jane Smith

(Somebody's got to give K-9 some credit. LOL)

I want to see Martha Jones in there somewhere. My husband's favorites are definitely River Song and Rose Tyler, but I'm having trouble narrowing the field much beyond what you've already done. Jack Harkness is probably my top favorite with Sarah Jane Smith a close second. After that, Rose, River, Clara and Martha kind of change places depending on which episode I'm watching. (You can keep your Amy Pond - I was never so glad to see a companion leave.)

Now for The Doctor's adversaries. Cybermen and Daleks are, of course, ubiquitous throughout the series. The Master has had numerous regenerations, with Missy doing a nice job as the female incarnation.

My favorites are the Weeping Angels from the episode "Blink." They really freaked me out.

No, my BFF agrees with you, Blue. Personally I think you're both nuts.

AJ, I'm with you. "Blink" had both my husband and me behind the couch the first time it aired, and the first time I drove past the Catholic church down the street after that I nearly ran off the road.

Am I the only one who think that Dr. Who is a stupid show? I think, perhaps I am.
I've never seen the show (ok, it may have been on at a friend's house in the background at some point.) I understand that some people are passionate about it...more power to them.

Am I the only one who think that Dr. Who is a stupid show? I think, perhaps I am.

I've never watched that show, either.

I have a minimal knowledge as to the plot, but that is only because avid fans have often tried to tell me what it is and why they love it.

AJ, I'm with you. "Blink" had both my husband and me behind the couch the first time it aired, and the first time I drove past the Catholic church down the street after that I nearly ran off the road.

Funny you should mention that. I accompanied some friends to their church one time after seeing that episode. I sat at the end of a row and on the wall next to me was one of those grey full size statutes of a woman in robes with head bowed slightly and hands clasped in prayer (orant I think it's called). I kept glancing over at her to make sure she wasn't moving toward me.

I'm surprised. Aren't you a sci fi fan?

Funny you should mention that. I accompanied some friends to their church one time after seeing that episode. I sat at the end of a row and on the wall next to me was one of those grey full size statutes of a woman in robes with head bowed slightly and hands clasped in prayer (orant I think it's called). I kept glancing over at her to make sure she wasn't moving toward me.

I'm surprised. Aren't you a sci fi fan?
Big time...I just find that show boring.

I hate it when people think Dr. Who was Sci-Fi.

Ouch. Must you be so mean. I'm about as mainstream Sci-Fi as anybody, having read hundreds of writers from Asimov to Zelazny since I was 11 years old.

Dr Who has its place in the Sci-Fi universe just like Star Wars and Superman,

Back