Jailed friend wants me to conference call him in

jel11633

Jurisdiction
Mississippi
A friend who's a resident of Tennessee got a dui in Mississippi last night. He called me from jail this morning, wanting me to conference call him in to his client, who he missed a meeting with because of jail.

He didn't want the client to see him calling from jail. Googling it, it says inmates can only call a pre-approved list of numbers, so I'm not sure if it's legal for me to call his client from my number then conference call them in together? Thank you for any suggestions.

A friend who's a resident of Tennessee got a dui in Mississippi last night. He called me from jail this morning, wanting me to conference call him in to his client, who he missed a meeting with because of jail.

He didn't want the client to see him calling from jail. Googling it, it says inmates can only call a pre-approved list of numbers, so I'm not sure if it's legal for me to call his client from my number then conference call them in together? Thank you for any suggestions.

Never do ANYTHING when you have ANY doubts.

Your friend is an adult.

Let him figure out how he should proceed.

Thank you for the reply. I did have doubts which is why I posted this and haven't done anything yet. However, I would like to know the legality of it to see if I can help or not.

Thank you for the reply. I did have doubts which is why I posted this and haven't done anything yet. However, I would like to know the legality of it to see if I can help or not.

Everything isn't a legal issue.

Some things are morality based.

As Cain once asked, "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Everything isn't a legal issue.
Some things are morality based.As Cain once asked, "Am I my brother's keeper?"

True, and in helping him I'm not directly lying though am helping him be deceptive. If its legal I would probably help him, since he's my best friend, but tell him this is the only time.

So i do appreciate you input though would like the legal answer on this if anyone is reading this.

You would have to ask the people at the jail (not your friend) if the conference call was legit. Don't do it if you don't get a straight answer.

Though it might be OK if you call the client separately and relay a message. No guarantee there.

Besides, unless the client is as dumb as a post he will eventually figure out that your friend missed the appointment because he was in jail. The effort to deceive might not be worth it.

Good points everyone. I've also left a message for a mutual friend who's a lawyer for his advice. I could call the jail and see what their policy is though maybe I would get him in trouble, they do record all calls though I doubt they are always listening to every call. All Ive found about the legality of this is vague google results that may not be valid.

So, just trying to get all the info I can to make a decision, this is the first time he's needed help like this but will be the last time I help if I do. Thanks for everyones input.

True, and in helping him I'm not directly lying though am helping him be deceptive. If its legal I would probably help him, since he's my best friend, but tell him this is the only time.

So i do appreciate you input though would like the legal answer on this if anyone is reading this.
Jailhouse calls are recorded/monitored and the friend will find himself in a load of trouble.

I doubt anyone here has knowledge of this very esoteric subject in Mississippi. If you're concerned, then tell your friend no.

By the way, it's likely your friend will be out of jail fairly soon, so the better approach would probably be to contact the client and apologize and ask to reschedule.

I doubt anyone here has knowledge of this very esoteric subject in Mississippi. If you're concerned, then tell your friend no. By the way, it's likely your friend will be out of jail fairly soon, so the better approach would probably be to contact the client and apologize and ask to reschedule.
I understand, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

Back