Issues with vehicle title

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lstat

I have a bit of an issue I have searched high and low for help with. Firstly I am in the Marine Corps and am heading to my new unit in two weeks, and I would LOVE to have this situation figured out by the end of January if at all possible, just trying to get things sorted with an "okay" timeline.

My issue is a motorcycle I bought a year ago, it was purchased (by the guy I bought it from), the title was filled out, and an unforeseen situation came up, so two weeks later it was sold to me. The deal was I was to title the bike, the new title would go to the guy I bought it from at which point he was to send it to me so I could retitle it but in my name this time. I went to take care of it but the DMV turned me away due to a lein, I contacted the previous owner and received a copy of the lein release which was turned away also due to not being the original copy. Upon trying to get the original mailed to me I lost contact with him. I never received response to my phone calls, emails, or text messages and have since given up due to dealing with more important things (training). My question is, what can I do about this? This is my "dream" motorcycle, and I have a TON of money spent on it already and am not willing to let it go to waste, I will do anything possible to take care of this asap!! At this point I have $1,800 in the original purchase, $1,000 in mechanical work, and another $800 in aftermarket parts. Would this by chance help me any at all since I have a bill of sale and (most) receipts for all the work?

I have a bit of an issue I have searched high and low for help with. Firstly I am in the Marine Corps and am heading to my new unit in two weeks, and I would LOVE to have this situation figured out by the end of January if at all possible, just trying to get things sorted with an "okay" timeline.

My issue is a motorcycle I bought a year ago, it was purchased (by the guy I bought it from), the title was filled out, and an unforeseen situation came up, so two weeks later it was sold to me. The deal was I was to title the bike, the new title would go to the guy I bought it from at which point he was to send it to me so I could retitle it but in my name this time. I went to take care of it but the DMV turned me away due to a lein, I contacted the previous owner and received a copy of the lein release which was turned away also due to not being the original copy. Upon trying to get the original mailed to me I lost contact with him. I never received response to my phone calls, emails, or text messages and have since given up due to dealing with more important things (training). My question is, what can I do about this? This is my "dream" motorcycle, and I have a TON of money spent on it already and am not willing to let it go to waste, I will do anything possible to take care of this asap!! At this point I have $1,800 in the original purchase, $1,000 in mechanical work, and another $800 in aftermarket parts. Would this by chance help me any at all since I have a bill of sale and (most) receipts for all the work?

You failed to validate the title.

Had you NOT paid a crook, who sold something he didn't own, you wouldn't be in this mess.

Okay, if the crook was active military, contact his CO or 1st SGT.

You could also make an appointment with your JAG and see what they can advise.

Depending on where the sale was transacted, you might be able to file a fraud complaint with the MPs or the local constabulary.

Bottom line, nothing you have done to improve or care for the vehicle supersedes the lien-holder's interest in the vehicle.

So, you could try contacting the lien holder and asking to pay off the lien, thereby getting the lienb released and the title transferred into yoru name.

If this is possible, it'll probably happen quicker.

Also, ask JAG about removing the vehicle from the state you're in to the state to which you'll be PCS'ing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back