Is your salary suppose to state the amount of time you actually work?

lawquestions111

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Is your salary suppose to state the amount of time you actually work? Is this going to hurt me down the road? I work about 60 hours a week but it says on my check I work only 40 hours a week. I am salaried employee.

You may be exempt from overtime if your job meets one of the following descriptions and your salary is more than $684 per week (as of 2020).

Fact Sheet #17A: Exemption for Executive, Administrative, Professional, Computer & Outside Sales Employees Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) | U.S. Department of Labor (dol.gov)

If you are exempt from overtime, then it really doesn't matter what your paycheck says.

Yes the salary is more than $684 a week.

I didn't know if there is some other back lash like work credit hours towards retirement or something else. Thank you

You may be exempt from overtime if your job meets one of the following descriptions and your salary is more than $684 per week (as of 2020).

Fact Sheet #17A: Exemption for Executive, Administrative, Professional, Computer & Outside Sales Employees Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) | U.S. Department of Labor (dol.gov)

If you are exempt from overtime, then it really doesn't matter what your paycheck says.

Actually I do have one more question. For the computer part >> Fact Sheet #17E:Exemption for Employees in Computer-Related Occupations Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) | U.S. Department of Labor $27.63 a hour.

• The employee must be compensated either on a salary or fee basis at a rate not less than $684* per week or, if compensated on an hourly basis, at a rate not less than $27.63 an hour;

I know a few people that work for $15.00 an hour but are required to work 55 hours a week. This would still fall under the $684 correct?
regular hours 15x40=600
overtime hours 22.5x337.50
total $937.50 - salary at the end of the week for 55 hours

but wouldn't 27.63x40 be $1105.20 correct?

So in this case it would be cheaper to hire someone on salary based at a $15.00 an hour rate of pay with overtime for 55 hours then pay someone hourly for 40 hours a week at $27.63?

Am I reading this wrong?

(edit - I just answered my own question. Thanks again.)

Last edited:
Is your salary suppose to state the amount of time you actually work?

Not sure what this means. A salary is money you earn in compensation for working. A salary is not capable of "stating" anything. Perhaps it will answer your question to note that, in general, a salary is fixed and not dependent on how many hours the employee actually works.

Is this going to hurt me down the road?

Is what going to hurt you?

I work about 60 hours a week but it says on my check I work only 40 hours a week.

Seems like something to discuss with your payroll manager or direct supervisor.

I didn't know if there is some other back lash like work credit hours towards retirement

That would depend on the details of any retirement plan that your employer may offer.

Not sure what this means. A salary is money you earn in compensation for working. A salary is not capable of "stating" anything. Perhaps it will answer your question to note that, in general, a salary is fixed and not dependent on how many hours the employee actually works.

Is what going to hurt you?
Anything. I am just crossing all the t's and dotting the eyes. Just making sure I am not missing anything. thank you for your reply's.

If you are exempt from overtime the number of hours you actually work is irrelevant. Many payroll softwares use 40 as a default unless the actual number hours is entered, and since it's irrelevant for exempt employees no one is going to spend time entering that into the payroll.

It's unlikely in the extreme that retirement plans are affected by anything beyond Over xxxx hours in a year and Under xxxx hours in a year (generally 1000).

If you are exempt from overtime the number of hours you actually work is irrelevant. Many payroll softwares use 40 as a default unless the actual number hours is entered, and since it's irrelevant for exempt employees no one is going to spend time entering that into the payroll.

It's unlikely in the extreme that retirement plans are affected by anything beyond Over xxxx hours in a year and Under xxxx hours in a year (generally 1000).

thank you that helps clears things up.

Back